I itch after wearing my wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minimalistdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Dear forum,
I have a Bodyglove 7mil wetsuit. I really like the way this suit looks. And it was not very expensive. Under $200 from what I remember. I have had it for a couple years and I have probably only used it on less than 25 freshwater cold lake dives and one salt water dive at Catalina Island. After use, I usually always hose it off and use my electric hanger fan dryer.

The last couple times I have used it, I have started itching on my legs. Especially in the soft pit behind my knees, and in the pit on the other side of my elbow. And a little bit on the fronts of my legs and torso. The last time, I though it was because I got too much sun on the back of my legs. But it happened again.

I figure I have either developed an allergy to a chemical (formaldehyde?) in the suit, or my suit has become contaminated and is irritating my skin. This didn't happen for the first two years of ownership.

I am thinking of buying a high quality made for sensitive skin thin wetsuit called a Thermocline made by a company called Fifth Element to use as a buffer between my skin and my wetsuit. People that are allergic to neoprene have good luck doing that. But that suit is made in the UK and costs $350 from what I remember. And that kind of money will pay for half of a used Whites Fusion drysuit. I think it is a false economy to pay $350 to make it so I can wear my cheep $150 wetsuit.

Or do you think it is just contaminated? The suit looks really nice. I have NEVER urinated in it. Is there a special soap I should buy to try washing the suit?

Thanks for your advice.

Have you tried washing it? Maybe wash it with some Woolite. Could be you just got something on it that is causing you to itch. I actually wash mine every dive in the washing machine on delicate or even regular cycle, cold water and line dry.
If that doesn't work, try wearing a nylon skin under it. Thet are cheap and make your wetsuit glide on and off easily.That might be enough to prevent the itching.
If you're not getting an actual rash, it may just be a minor sensitivity. I have the world's most sensitive skin. I'm allergic to nickel, bacitracin, talcum powder,most of the alloys that are mixed with gold so that I can't wear gold jewelry. It's so annoying! Most of these allergies develop slowly from exposure to the allergen.

Sounds like to me that you have never cleaned your suit.

That is more than likely the culprit as it would be no different if you wore the same pair of pants and shirt over and over again and never washed them. Dead skin cells, chemicals in the water (salts, metals, pesticides, etc.) all build up on your wet suit, remember...it is a "wet" suit which means it allows a thin film of water inside the suit to create a thermal layer to retain heat.

I would just as stated above, wash it with some gentle detergent, NO FABRIC SOFTENER, on a gentle cycle and line dry (NO DRYER!). That "should" solve the problem unless (as mentioned above) you have now generated an allergic reaction to something over time.

Best of luck.

---------- Post Merged at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:30 AM ----------

I have the world's most sensitive skin. I'm allergic to nickel, bacitracin, talcum powder,most of the alloys that are mixed with gold so that I can't wear gold jewelry. It's so annoying! Most of these allergies develop slowly from exposure to the allergen.

Go with Platinum (I know it is expensive) as it is of MUCH higher purity and shouldn't cause reactions. (Very few people get reactions to Platinum.) Or, you could use TC (Tungsten Carbide)...both of my wedding rings are each. My actual wedding band is Platinum and my every-day ring is TC. I only use the Platinum one for special occasions for obvious reasons, plus Platinum is scuffed easily...where, my TC ring has been beat to hell and back again and doesn't have a single scratch on it after 4+ years of total abuse!

Also sterling silver or "pure" .925 silver shouldn't cause a reaction as it is medically used in so many things (fillings is a major use).

I think a thorough washing is a good idea, but a part of the problem may also be the usual degradation of neoprene, especially in a "worked joint" like the knee. After washing and drying, you might feel the area in the area behind the knees to detect any "creasing" that may have developed. Wet suits don't last forever. NUmber of dives and calendar age are both factors.
DivemasterDennis

Second a thorough washing. I had a stint of wetsuit itchy ness post dive after I had given it a rinse in highly used rinse water.
I was too lazy to change it and spent the next week of diving itchy badly on the back of my knees and lower areas.

Keep in mind this was after wearing my suit for months every weekend without any reactions. After a very proper and freshwater rinse with lots of hand scrubbing, dunking, smelling, it hasn't happened again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom