Welcome Commercial Divers and those thinking about becoming one...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have your heart set on something, it's hard to just forget it. Sometimes though, the thought of something is better than the actual job you're thinking about. If you really want to pursue this, get trained as a welder or rigger. Get some construction experience and see if you want to take it to the next step. Once you get a commercial ticket you will be an experienced welder/rigger who can dive, rather than a diver who can't do the job he's paid for. Just a thought... :)

kc:
...Although I am still a bit reluctant to give up my wish, but i know i got to be realistic..
I got to wake up and look for other alternatives.. with good pay and fun (maybe)?
I got to really think through / seriously consider every facts that I am having now.
Thanks again.

KC

Hi everyone,

I am also looking into the commercial diving industry, and am into the differences between the International Diving Institute, based in Charleston, SC, Dive Academy International in New Jersey, and the Ocean Corp in Houston, TX. I was also wondering about what sort of depths commercial divers, and how long do you generally have to work as a tender before you get to start diving?

I also have a number of recreational dive certifications including NAUI Master diver, and I am about to take my assistant instructor class. would these certs come in handy when pursuing the commercial route?

Last edited:
Your recreational certificates are of no use in commercial diving. Most of the recreational scuba cert agencies have even provided letter to OSHA and the Assoc of Diving Contractors confirming this.

Commercial divers work in depth ranging from ankle deep to 1300 fsw. The most common depth range is 200 fsw or less because basic air diving can be done at those depths, and that is where most of the work is.

In the Gulf of Mexico you will be an apprentice for two to three years before anyone will put you in the water. Inshore companies will dip you sooner because the depths are much shallower and the work is more taxing.

The Ocean Corp is Gulf of Mexico oil patch diver focused. Divers academy is in a harbor so you will get training closer to what indland diving work is like, black muddy water, cold, all kinds of crap to crawl over, etc. I know nothing about IDI because they are new on the market and they are not members of the Association of Commercial Diving Educators, so beware and read the sticky post above "http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/commercial-divers/390007-warning-about-dive-schools.html"

scubaduck211,

Underwater training is never wasted. Your experience aids your comfort in the underwater environment. I think what muddiver is saying, is that your certifcations are not recognized by the commercial certification bodies. It is worthy to note however that some schools require you to be certified as a sport diver prior to course acceptance (or is at least is seen as positive by the schools).

When choosing a school, look at its track record at placing its students. Some major diving contractors (like Cal Dive, OceanCorp, etc.) collaborate with particular schools and "prefer source" their students. This is not to say that new divers from anywhere can't apply, but the company may have had some input into the training curriculm of a particular school and have thereby ensured that specific skills have been reinforced over other seldom used skills which serve their particular requirements. The schools are usually proud to show-off which companies have hired their graduates.

As far as depth is concerned, you are usually restricted to less than 200' (Air). Deeper depths require a Mixed-Gas commercial ticket and for depths of 500' or greater, a closed bell (saturation) ticket is mandatory. Hope this helps.

Wayne

thanks DCBC...Really thanks for your advice and sharing of your opinions.

I came to know a guy (he's also my company's client) who is currently a technician working on offshore platform. I am really happy / excited getting this contact. I'm trying to get in touch with him and i will try to meet him to get more info from him. He will be back home by next week.

Thanks again to Wayne, Akimbo and Couv... for sharing of your thoughts and wisdom.

I hope i will find my answer and will know my direction after meeting with my lucky star by next week.

kc:
Thanks again to Wayne, Akimbo and Couv... for sharing of your thoughts and wisdom.

I hope i will find my answer and will know my direction after meeting with my lucky star by next week.

Hi kc,

I am also interested to be commercial diver...please update your progress. Thanks

hi, im 25, merried to a dept. of state officer so i don't live in the same place too long , we are moving to hawaii for 3 months or so,then to DC for a year.
in june 2013 we will move to baku,azerbaijan. next to caspian sea. i been thinking about studdy commercial diving at divers academy international in NJ to be near of my wife and child. i will have to move every 2 years to diferent places in the planet, asia, africa, right now in el salvador central america. become a commercial diver it's been in my head for the past year.
i'm starting with my rescue diver course from padi,(im already open water, and advanced, but this is just for fun) I use to have a furniture factory, im very well handy skilled.
i really need a realistic advice of this career, im not so rushed about the money(pay rent school, etc), and i don't mind traveling far and work hard.
thank you for your time.

all the best.
JC.

JC & others interested in Commercial Diving:

I encourage you to read the other related threads under the Commercial Diving Section. If you have specific questions that haven't been addressed, you can post these in a separate thread, or send a PM to anyone and we'll attempt to address your concerns. Good luck.

Wayne

Hello, my name is TJ and this is my first post on here. I just turned 23 and I am very interested in getting into the marine and commercial diving industry. I have no kids, wife or girlfriend, and there is nothing that ties me down to a particular area. I have been looking into and researching the industry for a number of years now. I came across this thread and figured I would make an account on here and ask for some input from people who are currently in the industry.

I am not new to the technical field. I am a skilled welder, mechanic, fabricator, and machinist, with construction experience. I have worked on and built off road race vehicles and other race cars. Also I worked building the skate parks and gigantic ramps that can be seen during the x-games and other extreme sports competitions. I have experience in the fast paced aerospace industry where I designed, built and assembled tooling to manufacture assemblies and parts that went on commercial and military aircraft and spacecraft. I have a heavy engineering background in the field of manufacturing and mechanical engineering. I was attending Cal Poly for an engineering degree, however I found that it was not for me and I chose not to continue, however, during my studies I have acquired, numerous skills ranging from Foundry engineering, Computer aided design, to CNC programming.

I have been looking into commercial diving training schools for a while now and i am pretty much set on one near my area(SBCC). My diving experience, however is limited to freediving. I spear fish and collect lobsters as a hobby. I was hoping to receive some input and recommendations about getting into this industry and what to expect, and what other skills(besides diving) are currently marketable in the industry today. I am definitely not interested in this field because of money. i want to apply the skills i have learned so far in a different environment.

Thank You very much.

TJ Woodland.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom