Diving/Camping in the Middle Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mpen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking into doing a dive trip to the middle keys, something other than Largo and Key West, preferably Marathon or Looe Key. Any recommendations on places to camp/dive with and even comments on how the diving is down there would be awesome

Interested in what you learn about camping. We camped/dived the WPB area a month ago. It was a trial run to see if the camper had enough space for all the gear.

I usually do at least one (tent) camping trip to the keys each year (and another two trips staying in hotels or condo rentals). My two favorite camping spots are Curry Hammock State Park and Bahia Honda. The problem with the state parks is that you have to make reservations well in advance. At some point I'd like to give Long Key State Park a shot as well.

Can't really comment on the diving though, I generally drive up to Conch Republic in Tavinier each morning when I stay in either camp ground: it is a pleasant drive for me and I don't mind the 45-60 minute commute. I've also driven down to Key West to dive the Vandenberg. A buddy has dove Looe Key and enjoyed: my daughter has snorkeled it and also enjoyed it.

State parks seem to be pretty booked up for when I'd want to be going :/
Plus bringing along a group of 20-30 people we need like 4-5 spots, which is even harder to get in state parks, so a non-state park camp ground would be ideal.

Knights Key Campground is terrific. You have a harbor you can leave your boat in and their own boat ramp. Gas by water is close and the reefs are within 4 miles. You can go inside to snorkel and there are restaurants within walking distance. Good luck.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom