Lens Choice for Surface Photography for OM-D E-M5 Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am planning to buy the Olympus OM-D E-M5 camera for U/W use. I will most likely buy the following lenses for U/W use: 1250, 8 and 60mm. What lens would one recommend for use on land? I am thinking the 14-150 mm lens would be a good general purpose lens but not sure. Please give me your feedback.

Here is the link for the 14-150 mm lens specs:

M. ED 14-150mm F4.0-5.6

This is a no-brainer. Go with the 14-150mm. For general scenics and the photography you describe it is a superb all arouind lens and the image quality is quite good. No need to worry about slow aperture as the om-d is excellent at iso 400 which more than makes up for lack of lens speed,and anyway for scenics you are shooting at f8 typically. I have the 9-18 and the 14-150 which both fit into a very tiny bag that weighs almost nothing. The 14-150 is on the camera 70% of the time unless I want extremely wide perspectives. With these two, you have got everything covered for scenics. The 12-50 is great if you absolutely have to minimize weight, want good macro capability, want dustproofing, and don't want to change lenses at all.

I also recommend the 14-150. I picked up a refurbed one from cameta for a good price:
Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Micro ED Digital Zoom Lens - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I kind of went back and forth when ordering my em5 about what to get. In the end I went with body only and spent that money on the 14-150. It is optically not the best lens around, but it's pretty good and there are times I need that versatility. I shoot some things for my wife's work and changing lens is not an option.

I primarily use the 9-18 underwater which I love.
I also have the 17mm and the 45mm from oly. The 17 is very good and tiny. The 45 is just stellar.
I plan on getting the 60mm macro for underwater mainly.

I recently traveled to europe and took with me the 14-150, 9-18 and the 17 just for small size and f2.8.
If I were to do it over again, I'd probably spend the extra money to get the 20mm/f1.7 over the 17mm, just for the faster lens.
But, the 17mm actually has a pleasing quality about it's images that's hard to put a finger on.

I also recommend the 14-150. I picked up a refurbed one from cameta for a good price:
Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Micro ED Digital Zoom Lens - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I kind of went back and forth when ordering my em5 about what to get. In the end I went with body only and spent that money on the 14-150. It is optically not the best lens around, but it's pretty good and there are times I need that versatility. I shoot some things for my wife's work and changing lens is not an option.

I primarily use the 9-18 underwater which I love.
I also have the 17mm and the 45mm from oly. The 17 is very good and tiny. The 45 is just stellar.
I plan on getting the 60mm macro for underwater mainly.

I recently traveled to europe and took with me the 14-150, 9-18 and the 17 just for small size and f2.8.
If I were to do it over again, I'd probably spend the extra money to get the 20mm/f1.7 over the 17mm, just for the faster lens.
But, the 17mm actually has a pleasing quality about it's images that's hard to put a finger on.

I see Olympus are coming out with a faster 17mm/f1.8 prime which looks almost as small. I expect it might cost a bit more though.

First two Olympus 17mm f/1.8 image samples… | 43 Rumors

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom