Log book mockery?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is another post asking whether people use their log books/why log dives, but my question is - do you mock people who enjoy keeping a log book? :idk:

I recently completed my OW course with PADI and through the course the instructor never once referred to my log book with me. It was only at the end when he was signing the mandatory pages he was surprised I had filled in details for the dives. I did not know some of the answers such as visibility, temperature, so I asked him for these and he seemed surprised I wanted to bother logging this.

I think it's neat to log all of your dives from a personal and experience point of view. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks I'm being "lame"!

I'm signing up to a dry suit course and now I'm going to feel embarrassed getting out my log book in front of the instructor and asking for their input on temperatures/visibility - should I be?

I personally prefer to log my dives. This gives me information on things like how much weight I used in a certain environment and with a certain gear setup, Air consumption, Depth, etc. Just my 2cents worth.

Adam

Not log dives? How else would you know when you have to do the naked dive?

---------- Post Merged at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:38 PM ----------

FWIW - without a log book, I would have had no idea it had been 19 years since I had been on a site (recently was at one for a class I hadn't been to in that long). OMG had it changed....

Been logging dives, [manually] in detail for years......including most of the things/reasons previously stated + location/quality/price/accuracy of 'fills', time zones, food I ate, how I slept etc.....W/enough data [and not relying on fallible memory] you'll see patterns in your diving...If you're going to dive regularly it's worth the effort........

j2s:
Been logging dives, [manually] in detail for years......including most of the things/reasons previously stated + location/quality/price/accuracy of 'fills', time zones, food I ate, how I slept etc.....W/enough data [and not relying on fallible memory] you'll see patterns in your diving...If you're going to dive regularly it's worth the effort........

I must admit I totally don't get the point. More power to all of you who go through the effort. Love my downloaded computer log though with whatever information it has.

My mom just found a journal I kept from when I was in 2nd grade. I had posted the dates and exactly what I had done each day.
Who would had thought I would be reading this stuff from 1973 today? It was so much fun! I read about the day the Vietnam war was ended, from a 2nd grader's point of view! My point of view!
This is the stuff your memories are made of, people!
Those boat stamps, from all over the world? Stuff yor logbooks with them! 30-40 years from now, you will just love reading about the adventures you took!

30 to 40 years.....well, that's encouraging.

Last edited:
There is another post asking whether people use their log books/why log dives, but my question is - do you mock people who enjoy keeping a log book? :idk:
I mock you for logging dives. I judge you, and I mock you. You are not as experienced as I am, you're not as cool as I am, you are quite possibly obsessive compulsive, and you probably still give the boat a big "okay" sign when you surface. So passé.

I judge you silently, and I mock you to myself. But if you dare bring that pathetic little logbook and that face shining with enthusiasm up to me for a post-dive signature I will no longer restrain myself. I will sigh, and let loose my most potent weapon: the condescending laugh. "Sure, I'd be happy to sign your logbook, heh heh heh." I may even pat you on the head.

Take that pathetic little logbook—with the signatures of people whose names you've forgotten and the silly little stamped insignia in the shape of shipwrecks and butterflyfish—out of my face. Don't let me see it again on this trip, okay?

:joke:

I log my dives in my logbook, with long drawn out comments about what I could have done better, or anything that happened. I not only use that I come home and upload said dives off my computer onto my laptop and examine my ascent and descent rates, Sac Rates, time, etc etc..

I do not think there is anything wrong at all with keeping track of your dives. And if your instructor does not understand you excitement about diving, then he/she should really go back to bagging groceries

I must admit I totally don't get the point. More power to all of you who go through the effort. Love my downloaded computer log though with whatever information it has.

Different strokes and all that. My dive log doesn't typically have much in terms of commentary ... mostly just data that I consider potentially useful. One of my dive buddies, on the other hand, keeps a journal ... complete with hand sketches, stickers, and a very detailed description of the dive. I love going back and reading about a particularly nice dive we did together ... it's kinda like watching a rerun of a show you really enjoyed a couple years ago.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom