Angler charged after pulling up diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Part of the problem is with ourselves. Rather than posting on SB we should be complaining to our legislators as to unequal enforcement of dive flag laws. Why as diver do we get fined for not having one when boats routinely ignore them penalty free. This guy must have violated the dive flag laws, why wasn't he charged? Diving also pumps money into the Florida economy.

That's what Mike Nelson would have done, but we're talking a 105 lb scientist girl, here.
I think the limit for scientist girls is 90 pounds, so I can see why the fisherman was reluctant to throw her back in. :wink:

I think the limit for scientist girls is 90 pounds, so I can see why the fisherman was reluctant to throw her back in. :wink:

She may be only 90 lbs, she is pretty teeny. I gave her an extra 15 for muscle.

Part of the problem is with ourselves. Rather than posting on SB we should be complaining to our legislators as to unequal enforcement of dive flag laws. Why as diver do we get fined for not having one when boats routinely ignore them penalty free. This guy must have violated the dive flag laws, why wasn't he charged? Diving also pumps money into the Florida economy.

Actually, he was anchored. Her boat was anchored. There were a slew of boats anchored there that day. She wasn't much of a navigator.

From the article: Angry Angler Hauls in Biologist « TheRockyRiver.com

"When Bamford pulled up to find Johnson’s dive flag in his spot, he grabbed the flag and used the attached rope to pull her to the surface."
That settles the "Who was there 1st argument"

It happens everywhere, I surfaced a couple weeks ago to find a pair of Jet Ski's using my Dive flag as an obstacle, I've seen boats using Dive bouys as "navigational markers" and while sitting on achor during a surface interval I had a boat trolling lures pull within 30-40ft of me asking what the red/white flag meant. /facepalm.

Yes, we get fines in Texas also for not having a flag but good luck finding a Game Warden when it is happening.
It is unlawful to: Operate within 50 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" or operate a boat within 150 feet of a "Diver Down Flag" except at Headway/Steerage Speed.

I was spearfishing with a buddy (dive flag flying on boat) with no one on baord the boat while we were down (yes, I konw this is not the bset thing to do) and surfaced as some other guys were getting ready to board my boat. We were 30 miles offshore with no other vessels within sight. i quickly climbed up my ladder, and we both left the bands on our spearguns engaged. They said they"were just trying to make sure everything was OK since they didn't see anyone on the boat", but I think they were either going to steal from my boat or steal my boat. I discretely had my hand on the AR-15 in my storage locker while I thanked them for their concern. They left the area after this. Since they did not actually board my boat, there was no point in calling the authorities. i no longer dive without someone tending the boat. I wonder if the situation would have been different if I was not flying the diver down flag. Did it act as an invitation to try and board my boat while we were diving? I feel lucky that the situation turned out OK.

BOB PERHAPS YOU CAN HELP ME HERE . WHEN I first started ( we started) i remember the guidence on use of dive markers was to never tie off to the line in case a passing boat snagges it and pulls you up. it was always one buddy toes the flag and the other navigated or what ever. Has that changed to say ok to tie off to the flag line.?

You're a recreational diver ... she's a working diver ... different rules.

She probably didn't even have a dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom