Renew PADI EFR or Red Cross?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the OP is talking about provider level certification, not instructor level. Basically any First Aid CPR cert will do. They are all the same essentially. DM requirement is to have valid (within 24 months) First Aid CPR cert. If you decided to go on to become a PADI instructor, you will need your First Aid CPR Instructor level certification, any agency will do the trick. However if one day you want to obtain your Staff Instructor certification, then EFR instructor is a must. If I were the OP, I will spend the money to earn yourself EFR instructor certification now. That case you don't have to worry about renewal every 2 years.:wink:

If you are a working DM is it a PADI requirement to renew your EFR/first aid, etc. certification every 2 years, or is it only a requirement of some shops if they so desire?

Here is what is in the 2012 instructor manual, no mention of renewing your status.

"Active Status
Active status authorizes PADI Divemasters to perform the duties
of a PADI certified assistant and conduct courses as outlined.
Requirements
PADI Membership Renewal and dues for the current
year on file at your PADI Office.
Agree to PADI Membership and License Agreements.
Proof of current professional liability insurance as
required by your PADI Office (
See the Pros’ Site at padi.com).
One of the following verified by your PADI Office:
• Became a PADI Divemaster the previous year,
or
• Renewed in Active Status the previous year,
or
• Met Active Status requirements as defined by your PADI office"

I have been told that if you call the PADI office they will be able to answer these types of questions pretty quick.

I have been told that if you call the PADI office they will be able to answer these types of questions pretty quick.

Heaven forbid one actually goes to the source :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom