How dangerous is diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We won't count Len Bias, speaking of Celtics. Here, via the LA Times, is a tally from the NCAA:

Sorry, forgot about Bias. Your point is well taken, however these statistics may just include college & pro atheletes. Not sure what my point is here, but as you pointed out, you were talking about injuries you had as opposed to deaths. Though I stopped playing competitive ball in my 30s, I would imagine that playng hoops I logged probably hundreds of times the 165 hours I've logged diving. I probably plyed some kind of ball 3-4 times a week, and I dive about once weekly-for only less than 7 years. So again, what do you do with statistics?

Len Bias didn't die from playing basketball ... he died from snorting cocaine. He just happened to be a basketball player.

That'd be like calling a car accident a diving accident just because the casualty happened to be a diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

1965 (5th grade)- 1986 (retirement from Sr. Men's Basketball):
one thumb injury in 1972. Of course, I was a spot-up shooter and didn't usually mix it up.

Come in the "paint" where the big boys play..... damn prima-donna :cool2:

Len Bias didn't die from playing basketball ... he died from snorting cocaine. He just happened to be a basketball player.
Yeah, that's why I didn't count him. But Len's just a little younger than me, and at the time snorting cocaine could have legitimately been considered an occupational hazard for an NBA player. :D

All kidding aside, some of the guys I played pickup with had a name for games accompanied by cocaine use: "NBA hoops."

---------- Post Merged at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:23 AM ----------

So again, what do you do with statistics?
I think the "micromort" concept that I linked to earlier in the thread is an elegant way to compare risks. The big problem is finding reliable data, especially for scuba diving. That NCAA data is probably pretty reliable, since they have a well-defined population that reports to them.

How safe is safe enough? Macho? That ciuld explain why most people claim diving is relaxing? Never understood that either or why worrying over safety is such a big thing with people.

Most Dangerous

3. Flying in small aircraft in bad weather or any weather for that matter.

4. Flying small airplanes in good weather.

Thanks for promoting yet another myth . . . . I think that you will find that flying light aircraft to be orders of magnitude safer than driving a car pretty much anywhere, and massively safer than diving (which I also regard as totally safe *unless* you are untrained or an idiot . . . ). About the worst that can happen flying a light aircraft is engine failure, at which time you have 5 to 10 minutes to pick a landing spot and put it down . . . not anywhere near as exciting as an OOA ascent in my book . . .

- Tim

Honestly there is danger in everything we do. If you spend your whole live worrying about one danger or another you will live a long life but will it be a life worth living if your always trying to avoid a bit of risk to your life. I could stay at home every day of the week do anything take no risks to my heath and sure make it to 100 and whatever but honestly I'll take the chance that something may happen do all I can to reduce the risks and sure maybe loose my life but I would much rather do that and see what this world has to offer than to sit locked up in my room doing essentially nothing and reading about others experiences but I would prefer to have and live my own. In 2 weeks I do my rescue cert next year I start my scientific diver training later next year probably my DM. Since I got into diving a year ago I'm glad I took the risk that day to sign up for my OW and honestly I do not regret it in anyway shape or form.

Tell that to Buddy Holly et al

*One* death means nothing, despite the big name . . . How many die on the roads every year? Aircraft accidents make the news simply because they are so uncommon (and the opposite for traffic fatalities). If I recall, the danger of death by shark attack is higher than that from flying . . .

- Tim

Up in the air or below the surface, when it goes wrong, the possible outcome of death becomes more likely than many other interests. It is how you prevent those things from happening, as well as your reaction to some events that can either make it a non-issue, or have it become serious..

Ultimately, I would not consider fatalities as a good measure of danger. in most sports, including diving, fatalities are fairly rare. I would be much more concerned about other, non fatal injuries. spinal cord injuries can devistate a life and family. Broken limbs can lay up skiers for weeks and cost thousands in medical bills, not to mention lost productivity and wages. I have seldom seen divers requiring medical attention after a day of diving, while I have seen that Skiers tend to keep the ski patrol busy fairly busy. True when you make a bad decision diving the price can be high, but any activitie using gravity assisted acceleration can make a bad situation worse very quickly.

As a number of people have noted, diving is as dangerous as you make it. I tend to worry more about the driving to and from dive sites much more than the actual dives. at the end of the day I am tired and I have a couple of hours in the car surrounded by thousands of other drivers who I don't know anything about or their abilities. When I dive I am focused and alert with people that I know and trust. I am mentally prepared for challenges. risk free? No, but I have a lot more control over my dives than I do over the drive to and from the site.

---------- Post Merged at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:14 PM ----------

If I recall, the danger of death by shark attack is higher than that from flying . . .

- Tim

Book of Odds--Sharks or Vending Machines: Which is Deadlier?

death by shark, while unpleasant, is less likely than death by soda machine.

Jellyfish and deer are more likely to do you in....

5 Things More Likely to Kill You than a Shark Attack - Book Your Dive

My cousin was killed in a deer related accident. not met many people injured by sharks. I actually am yet to see a shark underwater in CT/RI (but have been looking forward to it...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom