back from GUE Fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fred was my Cave 1 instructor and was interning in my Cave 2 course as well. Great instructor.

And yeah, moving to thinner undergarments affects trim and moves you more head up / foot down. I always spend a few days in MX before I start to pick up the groove of diving with thin undergarments, freshwater, al80s, which is all different from back home. I find that I tend to need a v-weight up high on the doubles to balance out usually. Last time I took an Al plate which was a bit of a mistake and I never quite got trimmed out and was trying to keep air in my feet -- which is hard to do because I'm so used to unconsciously, automatically getting air out of my feet...

Congrats. Still waiting for my fellow swampers to get the TX class put together.

during the class we had an intern, Evan, and he is from Houston. If you like, I could put you in touch with him...I would rather not post his full name an email address in a public forum without his permission.

---------- Post Merged at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:34 AM ----------

Fred was my Cave 1 instructor and was interning in my Cave 2 course as well. Great instructor.

And yeah, moving to thinner undergarments affects trim and moves you more head up / foot down. I always spend a few days in MX before I start to pick up the groove of diving with thin undergarments, freshwater, al80s, which is all different from back home. I find that I tend to need a v-weight up high on the doubles to balance out usually. Last time I took an Al plate which was a bit of a mistake and I never quite got trimmed out and was trying to keep air in my feet -- which is hard to do because I'm so used to unconsciously, automatically getting air out of my feet...

I had those issues. To further complicate things, my rock boots were so big and sloppy with the thin undergarments, when I tried to get a little air in my feet, I often ended up with too much. I did try a v-weight on the top bolt, and I think it helped a little, but I still have some skill issues I need to work out.

Good idea diving a bit in the gear configuration before doing actual dives...I think I may find a set of double al80s to try out in the pool a few times when I am ready to return to Mexico. I am used to 500g underwear and steel hp100s, 200g underwear and al80s is a big difference :)

I'm amazed at you guys who feel the need to put weight high UP with Al80's -- I hang a 7 pound v-weight off the bottom bolt in order to balance them.

Every time you make a lot of gear changes, you need a dive or two to get settled. My first day in MX is what I call my "bull in a china shop" dive -- I plan it to stay out of anywhere where precise body control is critical for cave conservation, because I know I'm not going to have it. By day two, things are going MUCH better, as my body starts to remember exactly what posture I need, and where to put the air in my wing and suit, to keep everything stable.

One of the big problems with my C2 class was going to Florida and going immediately into class with different tanks and a different wing (and having the instructor remove the weight I'd carefully calculated I needed didn't help, either). Doing classes with different equipment from what you are used to just adds a level of challenge to what is already a demanding class.

Congrats. Still waiting for my fellow swampers to get the TX class put together.

We are putting a group together up here in the DFW area, but we are headed to High Springs for the class. Right now the first group is full, but we are working on numbers for the second group. :)

during the class we had an intern, Evan, and he is from Houston. If you like, I could put you in touch with him...I would rather not post his full name an email address in a public forum without his permission.

Evan is a member here on SB. If he sees this he might chime in.

And, Nimoh, congrats and thanks for the report.

Safe dives,

Cyp

I'm amazed at you guys who feel the need to put weight high UP with Al80's -- I hang a 7 pound v-weight off the bottom bolt in order to balance them.

Every time you make a lot of gear changes, you need a dive or two to get settled. My first day in MX is what I call my "bull in a china shop" dive -- I plan it to stay out of anywhere where precise body control is critical for cave conservation, because I know I'm not going to have it. By day two, things are going MUCH better, as my body starts to remember exactly what posture I need, and where to put the air in my wing and suit, to keep everything stable.

One of the big problems with my C2 class was going to Florida and going immediately into class with different tanks and a different wing (and having the instructor remove the weight I'd carefully calculated I needed didn't help, either). Doing classes with different equipment from what you are used to just adds a level of challenge to what is already a demanding class.

I'm not convinced that I need the weight up high, but since every time I stopped moving, my feet sunk, it seemed logical. The trim issue is more likely related to my posture, and I will be working on that before my return for a tec pass.

Congrats! Hope to see you in the water soon to see your new skill set!

Congrats on your rec pass! I help run the camera for some of the local classes (I'm based in Singapore) and what we'd tell the students is that it doesn't mean that you'll be automatically transformed after your Fundies. It merely heightens your awareness of what needs to be done, and you'd need to go away and practice more. It took me almost 3 years before I took the next step, which was Tech 1.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my Cave 1 course. Not sure when I'll be taking that though, costs way too much to fly from Singapore to Mexico. Sigh!

Im surprised with the cost and duration of fundies, more of your issues couldnt be worked out. It is a teaching class and not just a demonstration of skills right? I havent figured out how to remain motionless while hovering either as long as your breathing your gonna rise and fall a few inches which has never been a problem but maybe theres a technique that I dont know about. I agree, diving new configs or gear before any class is very important.

Congrats on your rec pass! I help run the camera for some of the local classes (I'm based in Singapore) and what we'd tell the students is that it doesn't mean that you'll be automatically transformed after your Fundies. It merely heightens your awareness of what needs to be done, and you'd need to go away and practice more. It took me almost 3 years before I took the next step, which was Tech 1.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my Cave 1 course. Not sure when I'll be taking that though, costs way too much to fly from Singapore to Mexico. Sigh!

Hi Alan,

What about Singapore to Florida? I've got a Cave1 class running early january if you might be interested.

Thanks
John

Back
Top Bottom