Redondo Artificial Reef Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In lieu of Kevin Lee's return, Walter Marti joined us for another attempt at additional footage of the Redondo Barge. I tricked him by anchoring at nearby Phil's Reef.
There were chunks in the water and two strange phenomena on the bottom. A current built during the dive which made it difficult to swim, even along the bottom. Just as it was getting stronger, it stopped. Also, a thermocline created a visual disturbance two feet off the bottom. I'm used to seeing these in mid-water, but not on the bottom. Our cameras had a hard time focusing through it.

RedondoBarge20_zpsf166d9e3.jpg

RedondoBarge21_zpsb84291b7.jpg

Walter and I with dreams of visibility dancing in our heads before the dive.

I dropped the anchor right in front of the Crab Sculpture, a concrete and rebar formation covered by Corynactis. From there it is a short swim to one of the octopus nests and the metridium post. The current was too strong to move very far from the anchor so we didn't go exploring.

PhilsReef6_zps3141a28b.jpg

Crab Sculpture

PhilsReef3_zps38209a70.jpg

Merry harassing a small metridium

PhilsReef1_zpsa40a156d.jpg

PhilsReef2_zps08c0e147.jpg

PhilsReef4_zps2bc547b2.jpg

PhilsReef5_zps6f4164cd.jpg

You looking at me? You looking at me!!??

I saw two Mola Molas above the metridium post, so it was decided to move to the barge for a second dive. We thought we might get some cleaning action.

PhilsReef8_zpsc94b39b7.jpg

Mola Mola over the metridiums

Visibility at the barge was a little worse. The chunks seemed to be bigger and the water felt warmer. My computer recorded 56° on the first dive and 60° on the second.
Walter began shooting video of an octopus nest while I kept watch for hungry cabezons. I must be a lousy security guard because one was sitting an inch from the nest. He didn't seem to want food, but liked the neighborhood. I evicted him by threatening him with bodily harm.

RedondoBarge1_zpsb1ca4dda.jpg

RedondoBarge4_zps43fa029c.jpg

RedondoBarge3_zps190003e1.jpg

I went to the top of the barge to look for Mola Molas. There were five, but the visibility was so bad that the only decent shots I got were from the one curious Mola which circled me continuously.
Everything was fine until the marauders showed up. All five Mola Molas made a bee line for me as four sea lions began their playful chase. I don't think the Molas found it funny.

RedondoBarge8_zps49317cd2.jpg

RedondoBarge5_zps0523bf78.jpg

RedondoBarge10_zpsc07dca93.jpg

RedondoBarge15_zpsa8def35e.jpg

RedondoBarge16_zps04449f3c.jpg

RedondoBarge17_zps04454bd2.jpg

RedondoBarge18_zpsa06cf2b8.jpg

RedondoBarge19_zps37d74f05.jpg

Now that Fall is upon us, perhaps it is time for the good visibility to return to Palos Verdes. Maybe I'll have pleasant dreams about it tonight.

Nice. Fun dive for such a mundane wreck. I'd like to get back there. As usual, thanks for sharing.

That's what I used to think until I began shooting a lot of macro. There is a ton of life on the barge that I overlooked before, and I've had some good luck with wide angle shots of sea lions and Mola Molas as well, just not today. We've also found a half dozen octopus nests next to the barge recently.

Wow, those shots with the sea lions and the mola molas are just goose-bump material!

So more Metridiums are starting to show up at Phil's reef! Awesome. The trio was nice enough, but in a few years maybe we'll have a field of them :) Very cool "action" shots of the mola and lions. Even with the suspended goop, they convey the perilous emotion the molas must be feeling. Good to know the north end has atleast some visibility. From the way Marineland has looked these last few days I know a Sunday Services solo session is out of the question but maybe I can sneak in one at Haggertys. Charlie is focusing on his studies this weekend.

Did Merry come back with any keepers?

Walter got some video of the baby octopus hatching!!!!! He didn't even tell us.

[vimeo]49991556[/vimeo]

That's what I used to think until I began shooting a lot of macro. There is a ton of life on the barge that I overlooked before, and I've had some good luck with wide angle shots of sea lions and Mola Molas as well, just not today. We've also found a half dozen octopus nests next to the barge recently.

I mean from a wreck/structure perspective. In the face of your pics, I'd be hard pressed to say the wildlife is lacking (though I've seen neither molas nor sea lions on it)

Walter got some video of the baby octopus hatching!!!!! He didn't even tell us.

Sweet! Excellent footage, especially like the variety of Cabezon individuals. Haven't seen one in all the times you've taken me there.

And of course you had your wide angle lens on :shakehead: King Neptune sure does like to taunt us photographers.

Yeah. if it hadn't been for the Molas on the first dive I would have changed lenses. We've been talking about getting a shot of newly hatched octopus ever since we first found a nest. Walter said he didn't see them until he reviewed his video at home. I'm sure if I had chenged lenses we would have had better vis on the barge and the sea lions would have been biting the Molas right in front of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom