Roatan Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SEMO - I think you might want to try CoCoView your next trip. The DMs lead the dives, but allow you to do your own thing, also. Since you are assigned a boat and DM for the week, they get to know you the first day, what you like and want to see. So on the dives, they give the brief "we will head down the wall to around 80', then after around 30 min we will come up on top of wall at 45' and you can stay with me or do your own thing, i will point at the boat, be back on boat in 60 min." This was a typical briefing as an example for you. The southside has vertical walls at all dive sites, with shallow flat area on top where the boat is moored. Some people stayed with DM the whole dive. Me, my husband, and another guy photographer stayed in water for full 60 min every dive, finding all types of critters right under the boat area or within eye-sight of the boat. The DM knew this the first day and never had a problem.
Then the 2nd and 4th dives of day are Drop-off dives, where you are dropped off on one of the walls near the resort. You are totally on your own, no DM, and you dive your way back in to the shore at CCV. This is also the area you are free to dive anytime, night dives in particular are awesome.

So what I am trying to say, is that at CCV you don't have to follow around a DM on your dives. Beginners are free to do that if they want, but more advanced divers and photographers in particular can do what they want and have total diving freedom.

robin

Thanks Robin. The DMs at AKR have been very accommodating. My statement about DMs being in too big of a hurry is a general statement about DMs in many places I have been. I would like to try CoCoView. I would like their afternoon on your own dives, and I love wall diving. My wife is a snorkeler, not a diver. Does CoCoView cater well to snorkelers? One of the things that she likes about AKR is that they take her out on a boat snorkeling daily. Sometimes she is the only one on the boat other than the captain and snorkel guide.

Thanks Robin. The DMs at AKR have been very accommodating. My statement about DMs being in too big of a hurry is a general statement about DMs in many places I have been. I would like to try CoCoView. I would like their afternoon on your own dives, and I love wall diving. My wife is a snorkeler, not a diver. Does CoCoView cater well to snorkelers? One of the things that she likes about AKR is that they take her out on a boat snorkeling daily. Sometimes she is the only one on the boat other than the captain and snorkel guide.

CCV has the best snorkeling on Roatan. The front yard and the top of both CCV wall and Neumans wall are great. My wife only snorkels also and she regularly goes out on the boat with us and snorkels the top of the reef, usually very shallow, while we dive. She does the drop off with us and again goes on the top of the reef. I dive just below her and we show each other stuff all the time. She got to see her first seahorse this way as I found him (or her) in about 12 feet of water and pointed to it as she dove down for a look. It works well this way as she shows me things she finds in the shallows when I come back up from the wall. We frequently do night dives, snorkel trips in the front yard as everything is right in only a few feet of water.

Later, Rob.

SEMO--Here is an aerial picture of CocoView Resort. See all that reef? (It extends off to the right, too, but is not in the picture.) It's rich in marine life, and is accessible from the shore.

cocoview.jpg

Attachments

• cocoview.jpg
    cocoview.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 169
Thanks. We already have a trip booked to AKR in November. While we are there we will go check out CCV. Looks like a great place., maybe we'll stay there next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom