Wetsuits for the "Clydesdale" diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BARE Elastek, it is 100% 4 way stretch so it will fit your broad sholders. You will pick one size smaller and the stretch will take care of the rest.

The BARE Elastek, it is 100% 4 way stretch so it will fit your broad sholders. You will pick one size smaller and the stretch will take care of the rest.

I was able to speak with someone at Henderson today - that's what they told me about AquaLock. I'll remeasure and see if that's a viable option.

I'm 6' tall. I'm not a dry suit diver, but could learn. :)

I wouldn't consider myself a "BIG dude" - just bigger than average.

A large part of the custom business is catering to proprtions such as athletic or just big here or small there. For a wetsuit to work with it needs to fit like a second skin with just a hint of compression all over. The human form is just too variable for stock suits to cover all of the bases. There are some people for whom a stock suit would suffice that go custom just to get that precision fit. There are also some allowance made in the material integrity to get stock suits to fit more people. The custom suit maker need to use overly complaiant rubber and thus can keep you warmer.

I just saw your 2X price comment.... How much do you have invested in diving so far? With 0-24 dives I can tell you it will only go up. This is one item where the exta quauality will have an imeasurabble payback in your comfort, frequency of diving and thus reward for your investment in diving.

Pete

I just saw your 2X price comment.... How much do you have invested in diving so far? With 0-24 dives I can tell you it will only go up. This is one item where the exta quauality will have an imeasurabble payback in your comfort, frequency of diving and thus reward for your investment in diving.

Pete

I don't disagree. I'm just trying to be careful as to what things I purchase first and where I focus my funds - what items I would like to go with first.

I am in the same boat. I could stand to lose a few lbs, and this is good motivation, but I'm 6'2 and wear a 52 long suit jacket. But am I the only person out there that dislikes back zip suits? Here in Florida, it can get warm even in a thin suit, and being able to zip open the top and let a little cooler water in is great. Ditto for letting in a little cool water before you get in the water.

Luckily, i am usually very warm, so i dive with just a skin in the summer. But our best vis is in winter and I need a suit.

I see Akona makes larger sized suits. Anyone have one?

I'm 6'5" 280lbs, and I dive a ScubaPro Novascotia 6.5MM Semi-dry. The stock 3xl fits very well. I've only had water wick up to my knees/elbows. The only time I've gotten chilly was in a 2nd dive at 90' when my computer showed a temp of 39 degrees. Other than that, many dives in low 50's and I have been fine.

It is amazing that the dive industry seems to think us big guys don't exist. Most of the people I see diving in the US are usually a little "sturdy."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom