Does Red Cross Adult First Aid/CPR/AED Count towards PADI Rescue Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tplyons

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I heard that other first responder courses could be used in lieu of the PADI Emergency First Responder course.

Because Red Cross is an internationally recognized organization outside of diving, I'd like to get the most recognized certification if possible. Can anyone confirm that Red Cross Adult First Aid/CPR/AED can be used in lieu of PADI EFR?

I've had to push my Rescue Diver class out because my First Aid/CPR is out of date and I can't get the PADI EFR to fit my schedule. I can make the Red Cross classes work in my schedule.

Yes, provided it is current.

^What Hawkwood said ^. I just did my rescue course about 3 months ago and did the adult Red Cross CPR/First Aid/AED 2 weeks before that. It's perfectly fine!

Thanks guys! Like I said, I'd rather have a certification that is recognized outside of the scuba community. Nothing against PADI at all!

...//...I'd like to get the most recognized certification if possible. ...//...

If you have enough time before your rescue course, you may wish to take two ARC courses:

* CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and Healthcare Provider
* Wilderness and Remote First Aid

-note that W&R FA is not taught at all ARC centers...

Where I live many of the instructors are also Canadian Red Cross Instructors for this reason. The PADI EFR and the SDI CPROX are not recognized for the workplace.

Thanks guys! Like I said, I'd rather have a certification that is recognized outside of the scuba community. Nothing against PADI at all!

Just out of curiosity, for what purpose outside of diving do you foresee a need to show a CPR/first aid certification? Do you need it for a job, like serving as a lifeguard or something?

My card doesn't say "PADI" on it anywhere. It says only "Emergency First Response." As far as I can tell EFR's web site doesn't even mention PADI: Emergency First Response. I'm not sure what the affiliation is between PADI and EFR.

Just out of curiosity, for what purpose outside of diving do you foresee a need to show a CPR/first aid certification? Do you need it for a job, like serving as a lifeguard or something?

My card doesn't say "PADI" on it anywhere. It says only "Emergency First Response." As far as I can tell EFR's web site doesn't even mention PADI: Emergency First Response. I'm not sure what the affiliation is between PADI and EFR.

You probably will never have to show anyone a EFR/CPR certification outside of diving. But it's never a bad idea to have some first aid training. If you have family, friends, etc that you are with and they get hurt wouldn't it be nice to be able to provide some basic first aid while paramedics are enroute?

And from your link, that looks like the EFR course the OP is asking about, whereas there are also specific PADI EFR courses you can take.

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

If you have enough time before your rescue course, you may wish to take two ARC courses:

* CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and Healthcare Provider
* Wilderness and Remote First Aid

-note that W&R FA is not taught at all ARC centers...
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even know ARC did W&R FA! I'll see if I can work them into my schedule!

---------- Post Merged at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:48 AM ----------

I don't plan on needing it for a job, but I've always taken opportunities to "always be prepared" and that may mean knowing what to do in an emergency, and sometimes it's just having a certification that may help out in the future.

Same reason I have my boating license, Class B CDL, and a few other things. I may never need them, but you never know when they'll come in handy.

Same reason I have my boating license, Class B CDL, and a few other things. I may never need them, but you never know when they'll come in handy.

Since most authorities or employers who might require CPR/first aid certification only consider the cert valid for one or two years before you need to take it again, I don't think it's quite the same level of investment in planning for a future need, but I suppose I understand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom