Point Lobos Sunday 9/9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the most dramatic inside-cove/outside-cove contrasts I've ever seen. Visibility was probably 10-15ft all the way out past Middle Reef, and from the surface the cove was a deep, rich muddy-green. It started to clear up at about 70ft depth, and by the time we got to Sea Mount, there was a dramatic change, from green water to clear blue, probably 50+ft by the time we hit Beto's. West was really where it the action was.

[video=youtube;zOmYUqaDbKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOmYUqaDbKk[/video]

Wait so you guys now have your own "Busy Bunny Toys", aka scooters? Way cool, as Lobos and scooters go together.

Thanks for sharing Kenn, it had been a long time since I saw you post a video.

We're doing what we can to get "back in the groove" but man, real-life just steps in and throws a wrench in the works, doesn't it?

I saw Whaler's Cove for the first time a few weeks ago. Looked like a shallow fishbowl with kelp :) Very nice, but not quite what you're showing. Do you start in the fishbowl and scooter to the outside? What is the distance to the reefs in your movie? If you start from Monastery beach do you go to the same reefs? Thanks!

I saw Whaler's Cove for the first time a few weeks ago. Looked like a shallow fishbowl with kelp :) Very nice, but not quite what you're showing. Do you start in the fishbowl and scooter to the outside? What is the distance to the reefs in your movie? If you start from Monastery beach do you go to the same reefs? Thanks!

We usually surface swim out of the fishbowl, and descend in ~30ft along the sand channel. Most of the interesting reef starts to the north outside of the cove, at 30-40ft depth. The video is around the Lone Metridium/Sea Mount/Beto's Reef areas. I put together a map a few years back that highlights the big Lobos dive sites:
Point Lobos Dive Map v2.0 - - ScubaBoard Gallery
You can also see the interactive map that the BAUE whizzes put up:
Point Lobos Underwater Maps

You can't really dive the same sites from Monastery Beach. It's right next door as the crow flies, but it's really quite far.

Wow, both your map and the BAUE maps are amazing! I hope I'll get a chance to dive in that area some time. Thanks.

I have missed your bunnies!

I chuckled all the way through the video. I have long known why the endemic center of scooter disease was in Monterey, but now you guys know, too :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom