Sidemount wetsuit pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone!

I just finished my sidemount course and the (side) thigh pockets on my shorts were no longer working for me. Has anybody tried putting the pockets in front? If so, do they work? Disadvantages (real or theoretical)?

Thanks in advance!

I clip one to my chest by the upper d rings. Its a DR and looks like a pencil pouch with 2 separate zipper compartments. It doesnt hang down when horizontal because my spg's protrude inward and lay flat against it.

Thanks stairman, but my spg is pointing down so it probably wont work for me. I also find the chest area to be very busy in sidemount configuration (especially the right D-ring) so I am thinking of either a butt mounted pouch or front pockets. I use the UTD Z-system BTW.

Reaching around to the butt is probably going to be the easier option in sidemount. You'd need to 'jack-knife' out of trim to reach front-thigh pockets, which'd cause deviation from trim. A small factor, but one to bear in mind.

sidemount configs are so different I wonder if any 2 are the same. I did start wearing a bumpcap for my backups which frees up my d rings, so all I have connected to them is my double enders and bungees and then lastly the clip on pocket.

The Razor has a nice butt mounted pouch as part of the system which should work for almost any sidemount set up. I wouldn't want it on my chest, though.

Just out of curiosity what all do you have on your d rings?

Front pockets makes jumping into boats (e.g. inflatables) painful. You land on your gear.

Just out of curiosity what all do you have on your d rings?

On the right I have the bungee, the clip for the inflator (I wear the inflator hose across my chest) and the clip for the long hose. On the left only the clip for the bungee. As you can seen the right D-ring is very busy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom