New diver to area, Olympic peninsula

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just moved to Port Angeles from the Midwest and I'd like to find people to dive with and show me the area. I've dived quite a bit in the Great Lakes, so the cold water doesn't bother me. Info on dive sites and gatherings of divers in the area would be much appreciated!

So nobody dives around here?
The divers out there must not be on SB. I know a few folks through NW Dive Club that would be potential buddies, go introduce yourself there. Your best bet for frequent diving and decent fills are probably in Port Townsend.

As far as I know, there isn't much directly in Port Angeles. I have heard two different stories on whether there is a dive shop there -- apparently there was, but it wasn't considered a very good one, and it closed. Rumor has it a new one may have opened. There IS a dive shop in Port Townsend, and there is at least one very good dive site there, the Point Hudson jetty.

On the other hand, it isn't an insuperable drive from Port Angeles to Hood Canal, and there is quite a bit of diving available there, including several good shore diving sites and an EXCELLENT charter boat, the Pac Adventures operation.

The NWdiveclub site is a good resource, as is pnwscuba.com and Planyourdive.com

Hope some of this is helpful -- we really do have fantastic diving here, but rocky shores and strong currents can make some areas not very appealing for diving, and I believe this is the case around PA.

Lots of divers in this area. Trouble is we are out diving and not at the keyboard: the visibility has been great, and we have had a wonderful streak of nice weather. Neah Bay is a fantastic site. You will probably find more sites in Hood Canal than in the straits. Also, there is fantastic diving on Vancouver Island. If you want to ive on the west side of the Sound, or on Hood Canal, feel free to drop me a note.

Back
Top Bottom