How to dive Salt Pier by starting at Jeannie's Glory?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drove by the site this afternoon and signs that were posted when we were here in 2009 are no longer there. That said, it could be from deterioration rather than someone legitimately removing the signs. Buddy Dive briefing was very clear - must have permission and must have guide. There was a ship docked today, so it didn't matter. Thursday is our next shot at it...

Drove by the site this afternoon and signs that were posted when we were here in 2009 are no longer there. That said, it could be from deterioration rather than someone legitimately removing the signs. Buddy Dive briefing was very clear - must have permission and must have guide. There was a ship docked today, so it didn't matter. Thursday is our next shot at it...

Let me know if you dive it. I'll be there next. How are conditions?

I dove it in January sans guide. Nobody stopped us, and it ended up being a great dive. Somebody in this thread was curious as to max depth...we hit about 55' a little bit off of the end of the pier after chasing around a large school of Tarpon. This was easily the most enjoyable dive of the week.

Headed south this afternoon and another ship was docked at the Salt Pier. Made 2 dives at Tori's, then headed to Salt City for a twilight dive. Noticed that a tender was pulling the mooring lines, so we waited around and within a half hour the ship headed out. We moved over to the Salt Pier and made a 90+ minute twilight/night dive. Had a great dive and had the entire place to ourselves.

Here is the answer I just received from Plaza Resort when I inquired about the salt pier. "Salt pier is for bidden to dive. However, if you want to dive at salt pier it will be on your own risk, even if you are guide by one of our dive master."
That was clear as mud. Forbidden to dive but can dive it at own risk even if using their dive master as guide. I

I was there back in May. Pulled up to site and a group of about 4 was getting out of the water. I asked them and they said when they were getting in there was another group getting out without incident also. We went for it, had a blast and saw many different species. We got out there was another truck there with those people in the water and another group getting in curious just like the rest of us. From what I saw the worker up on the pier did not seem to mind one bit.

Here's the response I got from STINAPA:

"Hi Steve,

Disregard my first initial email. The email that I sent you was the answer given by the people from Cargill. But now I got this email from the Marine Park Manager stating that it is not allowed! Below is his answer.

The right and official answer to that question is that, by order of the Harbor Master, diving in the piers is not allowed. If they do not enforce it is a different issue but diving in the piers is not allowed!

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Derchlien Vrolijk
Communication Coordinator"

The original response from Cargill was that they didn't care if you dive it as long as there were no ships present. I guess the Harbor Master has a different opinion. I wouldn't want to argue with the Harbor Master though.

boat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom