Bubble trouble.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me too. What I DONT like however is imagining that sound coming from a parrotfish gnawing on my finger :p

I love the sound of my regulator, but I know there are a lot of things that are moving out of my way before I get a chance to see them. Free divers have been nailing large trigger fish all summer and I am yet to see any.

I find the sound of bubles much less soothing on video clips, too.

My old LDS had bubbles as their hold music... it actually made me nervous because at times, the breathing was just a little too quick. funny how that works.

My husband learned to dive on a double-hose regulator, and he loathes his bubbles in modern gear. I, on the other hand, don't notice them at all, because they have always been there. The only time they bother me is when I have my mask off and the bubbles get in my eyes.

The answer is to start diving with a double hose regulator. Then, all your bubbles are behind you.

Attachments

• Baby Doubles.jpg
    Baby Doubles.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 148
Do more dives. You'll get used to them.

Do more dives. As the weather cools off, you'll need a hood and everything will get quieter.

Do more dives. You'll learn to use your lungs for your primary buoyancy, which will encourage you to breathe normally rather than so deeply. This will reduce the number of bubbles you are exhaling and they will seem quieter.

Do more dives. As you get more experienced, you'll tend to extend your inhales, extend your pauses, and extend your exhales - that is, your entire breathing cycle will slow down - and your extended exhales will produce less bubbles at once, reducing the sound.

Do more dives. As you get more experienced, you will tend to maintain a more horizontal position, making the bubbles run along your jawline and neck (behind your ears) rather than over your ears.

Basically, do more dives. :)

Do more dives. You'll learn to use your lungs for your primary buoyancy, which will encourage you to breathe normally rather than so deeply. This will reduce the number of bubbles you are exhaling and they will seem quieter.

Do more dives. As you get more experienced, you'll tend to extend your inhales, extend your pauses, and extend your exhales - that is, your entire breathing cycle will slow down - and your extended exhales will produce less bubbles at once, reducing the sound.

I agree with most of what you said except part of the above.

You contradict yourself in your own words where you say "breathe normally rather than so deeply" then go on to say "as you get more experienced, you'll tend to extend your inhales, extend your pauses, and extend your exhales".

Another fact is a medical fact: When you enter the water and submerge yourself, your brain automatically triggers a reaction in your automatic nervous system slowing your heart rate. Your heart rate will lower when submerged as your body's way of conserving O2 and hence forth slowing your respiratory rate.

I do agree with your second comment in the above quotation about extending your breathing cycle. It will become an "automatic" thing you will learn do over time with more dives.

This is also where I say you can't breathe "normally" under water again because, in your mind you want to conserve air naturally (you know you are on a limited supply if SCUBA) and due to the biological change in your body of a slowed heart rate. (Now this applies to SCUBA and not SSA, provided nothing goes wrong with your SSA.)

Just my two cents, as to how I see it...EMT training helps some to know about the biological triggers in the human body as well. :)

It's not a contradiction, Scott. Do more dives and you'll see what I mean. :)

...And most divers have a slightly elevated heart rate while diving, even if only from the activity of swimming. New divers experiencing anxiety or any sort of struggle are elevated even more. Do more dives, and it will come down - but there is nothing "automatic" about it. It's a matter of learning, comfort levels, and experience.

In other words, do more diving. Problem solved. :)

Well, allow me to clarify as I did make my information somewhat misleading because I noticed the "cold water" diving comment and then the breathing comments...that together is what triggered the information on the lowered heart rate.

Anyway, I know what I speak of as it was in my EMT training. Here is proof: Mammalian diving reflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, a new diver can experience anxiety. Yes your workload will directly affect your body. However, it still doesn't change the fact that your body will trigger a lower circulatory rate in cool water.

Like I said, I don't disagree with what you said about the more dives you make the more comfortable you will get and the better you will breathe. You will also learn to allow your body to exert the minimal amount of energy needed to do the task at hand, therefore saving even more air.

So once again, yes...I agree with that.

I was just making a scientific statement about breath rates that was triggered in my brain with reading the cold water diving then the middle comments. :)

And it does become "automatic" as with more dives you train yourself both mind and body to be more efficient with each breath. As you gain experience, you will be able to focus on other things, like work at hand or searching for fossils or whatever. It basically becomes "second nature" or basically "sub-conciously controlled."

Not saying you were wrong at all in any way...just clarifying info. :wink: :)

Back
Top Bottom