A Question of LDS Purchasing Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS treats me well regardless of where I buy equipment. They recognize that I am a valuable customer who has purchased training and other goods with them. I may not purchase everything from them but that's not a factor. That is how a good LDS treats people.

John suggested how to install the transmitter. You may want an open end wrench to lightly snug up the transmitter, just slightly more than finger tight. Its good to understand how to add/remove you hoses. It is easy to do and may be necessary when on a trip. For example your octo has a tank land on it and you need to install a new second or a rental. The shop will do the install but what if it happens on a boat? I have seen it happen even if there were 10 guys chomping at the bit to change out the octo! :wink:

Speaking as a complete newb who took his regs to the club unassembled as he "didn't know what he was doing", it really was quite painfully easy and obvious and I felt like a dipstick for not doing it myself.

The only thing to check is whether you have a spare HP port on your first stage. If you don't, you'll need to decide between doing without your existing SPG as a backup, and buying a new first stage (I would go with the latter - or just do without air integration until I was willing to spend on it).

It is like LEGO. Everything has its own thread size and port size, almost impossible to do it incorrectly. Just don't overtighten it, brass is a very soft metal, you don't want to tighten it like you would some steel nuts.

However, regarding LDS, they should not turn you away if you bought it elsewhere, bad business. They may ask for $5-$10 as an assembly fee, I don't see it as out of ordinary. On the other hand, if you were a paying customer, it is not so unlikely for them to throw you a freebie. It is all about a business sense. From what I have read, you may also get a lecture about dangers of buying stuff on-line, aka, worst case scenario that just happened to one of their customer just the other day and, as it happens, now is a karma for you.

If you are feeling unsure about assembling it yourself, most dive shops have lessons on how to maintain your gear and do basic modifications.

Keep in mind that hand tight is all it really needs. Don't get a wrench and gorilla it on there. The o-ring keeps the water out, not being ridiculously tight. Rightie-tightie leftie-loosie...honestly, it really is that simple. You don't have to calibrate it or anything like that. I move mine from one reg to another frequently.

IMO the Internet-hype of transmitter issues/failures is a bunch of drama, mostly by people who don't even have them but have "seen" these issues happen "all the time." :rolleyes:

Mine is nearing 500 dives w/o a failure of any kind.

I would explain to them why you are buying the computer elsewhere, and what features you are looking for. They will likely respond with why you don't need those features, buy you can decide for yourself if you want to take their advice. If you still want to buy it elsewhere, I would ask ahead of time if they would install it for you, and if they are a good LDS, they will do it for free because of the other business they are getting from you.

I think this is a problem with some LDSs, in that they are commonly willing to throw away all future business from a customer over a $10 installation fee or a few pieces of equipment bought elsewhere. Any LDS that only wants to do business with 100% loyal customers is missing out on a lot of sales!

One other thing you need to consider is getting the battery replaced in the transmitter. If your LDS does not sell that brand, then they "might" not service it. Replacing a battery might not sound like a big deal, but if something happens to the o-ring, and the transmitter floods. That my friend is called a $400 paper weight, depending on brand.

One other thing you need to consider is getting the battery replaced in the transmitter. If your LDS does not sell that brand, then they "might" not service it. Replacing a battery might not sound like a big deal, but if something happens to the o-ring, and the transmitter floods. That my friend is called a $400 paper weight, depending on brand.

Odds are by then the OP will realize that a transmitter isn't a very necessary piece of equipment anyway :)

First of all, congratulations on your new OW cert and welcome to a wonderful new hobby.

... Is it considered in poor taste to get something other than at your LDS and then give it to them to install? ...
Not at all. There will most likely be a small fee which is quite acceptable and expected. Business is business after all. If they have a problem with it, then write e'm off and go some where else as they are only interested in your money and not worth your time. Your LDS needs you a lot worse than you need them.

Dive shops are the only retail business in existence that has this implied/expected customer loyalty regardless of the quality of customer service and or product offered. I just don't get it. I owe no more loyalty to an LDS than I owe to Walmart, Target, Kmart, or any other retail outlet. I will spend my money where ever they have what I want at the best price (it's called competition). Anyone who doesn't like it can lump it. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other because I'll still be diving weather the LDS stays in business or not. It's not my fault if the LDS fails to earn my business.

P.S. Note to dive shop owners reading this thread:
eCommerce is here to stay! Grow up, suck it up, and get competitive or wave good bye!

First of all, congratulations on your new OW cert and welcome to a wonderful new hobby.

Not at all. There will most likely be a small fee which is quite acceptable and expected. Business is business after all. If they have a problem with it, then write e'm off and go some where else as they are only interested in your money and not worth your time. Your LDS needs you a lot worse than you need them.

Dive shops are the only retail business in existence that has this implied/expected customer loyalty regardless of the quality of customer service and or product offered. I just don't get it. I owe no more loyalty to an LDS than I owe to Walmart, Target, Kmart, or any other retail outlet. I will spend my money where ever they have what I want at the best price (it's called competition). Anyone who doesn't like it can lump it. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other because I'll still be diving weather the LDS stays in business or not. It's not my fault if the LDS fails to earn my business.

P.S. Note to dive shop owners reading this thread:
eCommerce is here to stay! Grow up, suck it up, and get competitive or wave good bye!

could not agree more, especially the highlighted part

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom