Got my OW cert, but SOB!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of good positive criticism, only thing I will add is get a necklace to hold your octopus under your chin, I think that is what TS&M is also referring too about using a bungeed octo.

I too would haved to agree, 2 ft of vis in an OW class is obsurd. I never liked the traditional hand sweep for the backup reg thats hanging behind you somewhere and prefer it to be on a necklace around my neck as others have stated. I wouldnt expect the girl to know to donate her reg in vis that poor so your basically solo and luckily shallow. Also the AHH sound they tell you to make is best taught IMO as a hum.

get a necklace to hold your octopus under your chin
this is an equipment solution for a skills problem :wink:, but I too love my octopus hanging from a necklace, it is there to be found when needed.

Aside from the issues of the conditions being good enough, you didnt panick, which is great. Maybe as well as practicing the sweep method of regulator recovery you could try the reach method. Push the tank up and to the side with your left hand, then reach over your shoulder with the right to the hose from the 1st stage, follow it to find the regulator. Useful in times when the reg could get caught up on something or cannot be found with a small sweep.

You should have been taught both the sweep recovery and to reach behind your head and trace the hose from the first stage. Tracing the hose works 100% of the time whereas the sweep method even when done correctly is not 100% successful. I also advocate the bungied backup so you can always find it quickly. Practice reaching behind you head finding the first stage and tracing the second stage hose to the reg.

As far as arm sweeps go, It can be kind of tricky. This is what seemed to work for me. Start with arm fully extended at your right side, lean to the right, and then sweep your arm behind you brushing the right side of your tank as you go up.

Like someone already mentioned, octo holders are hit or miss. I use an integrated inflator/octo, so it's a non issue for me, but that's just something else to consider when you go buy your own gear.

On a positive note, after this experience I'm sure you will be able to respond to a ripped out reg much better next time.

this is an equipment solution for a skills problem :wink:, but I too love my octopus hanging from a necklace, it is there to be found when needed.

Better around your neck than stuffed somewhere around the BC or worse just hanging from the first stage. Keeps everything neater IMHO.

TS&M hit it on the head. The long hose and bungeed backup/octo under your chin is an no-brainer. You always know where it is does not matter what the conditions, stress, workload or situation is. It is so simple it scary.

Ok gang, thanks to everyone who has chimed in. I truly appreciate the quick responses...but some of you ought to be sleeping instead of surfing! haha :wink:

So a night to sleep on it helped a lot. Accidents will happen. And I'm glad to say that with reflection, I came up with a lot of what has already been said, save for the reach behind method. New skill to practice! Also, I'll admit to maybe panicking a bit last night - I have two (one for me, one for my buddy) alt air sources on the way. In truth I had been thinking about it anyway, but in addition, I'll keep the octo on our BCDs for buddy use. Lets call that triple redundancy for self and common configuration for both of us/new buddy.

That, more training dives of course, and adding drill practice at the 15' stop after a bit of time to hold and relax, ought to make this a positive experience. Thanks again everyone, and please keep pearls of wisdom coming! Cheers M. :)

Back
Top Bottom