Aquacat - Bahamas/Exuma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a destination wedding in June 13 in jamaica and was contemplating fling through Nassau to dive the bahamas (im down there why not right?) I was thinking of Aggressor - until I saw several posts re their newboat being not so good (new operation and all). I was wondering has anyone dove with Aquacat? what is their op like, How about diving down there as well? conditions decent diving?

Any suugestions or information would be great - looking to book by Mid Dec

Thanks TMP

Can you clarify the chronology of events is it:

Fling, wedding, dive or
Wedding, fling, dive?

The Aquacat is first class all the way, great boat, attentive crew, super stable, and a great variety of dive sites. We have run several trips on it and plan to continue doing so! You won't be disappointed.

Baaa.....aparantly I missed the "y" key it is wedding.....FLYING......diving ......

Dove a Cat. It is a great boat to ive off of. Food accomodations and the diving is First Class all th way

We dove the AC this past July. The boat and crew are great and the food is even better. If you have a choice, stay away from Eleuthera Island and the dive sites in that area. That is one of the areas the boat can visit and the reefs there have been devastated by a green crusty-like algae. It was really sad to see. Other than the dive site where they are trying to raise cobia in a large cage-like structure, the other sites had little to no fish life. Heck, you don't even see Lionfish there.

My son and I did the Aquacat Easter break in '09 & again in '10. Great boat, super stable, significnat larger rooms and sun deck than monohulls, fantastic food, crew was great, various surface activiites are a nice break if you are inclined to take a dive or two off. Did notice the reefs seemed to be more impacted by the Lionfish invasion than some other isands we have visited since (Cayman and St. Kitts/Saba), but still an overall great great trip with good diving.

Did the AquaCat last October and will be on it in three weeks. Excellent operation. The crew was very accommodating, friendly and professional. The dive deck is excellent and large, especially if you are a photographer. Warm shower as you come on the boat after a dive, showers and head on the dive deck, 100cf alum tanks are available, pressurized air for the photographers, large room (relatively), good food with plenty of variety, and good house beer and wine.

I'm sorry to hear about Eleuthera- Jake's hole was one of my favorite dives, especially at night.

Back in February 2012 fdog posted a review of his AquaCat Bahamas trip; evidently had a great time. His review includes photos and was well-received on the forum. Here's a link to it.

I haven't been to the Bahamas. From what I understand, conditions vary with the season; a guy like me who doesn't wear a wet suit in Bonaire or Cozumel would be wearing one in the Bahamas in winter, for example, since the water's colder during winter (I've dove in Cozumel and Costa Maya in January with no wet suit and wasn't particularly chilly).

Richard.

I'm sorry to hear about Eleuthera- Jake's hole was one of my favorite dives, especially at night.

Actually Jake's Hole is not too bad. Still not great reef life around but better than most of the other sites in that area. Almost everyone on the boat commented on how poor the diving was in that area. Finally one of the DM's explained why the diving has declined so much there and said it is only going to get worse. There may come a time where the AC is going to have a hard time selling that route for diving. No fault of their own of course but it's reality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom