recommendations for Molokini (i.e. Maui) snorkel cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davidbaraff

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be in Maui next week: my normal dive routine is to leave from Kihei on B&B out to Molokini for diving, but my wife and kids would (finally) like to try snorkeling at Molokini.

Does anyone have recommendations (or warnings about) outfits that do snorkel cruises out to Molokini? You know, one of the big fancy boats that makes it easy for kids to snorkel, has bathrooms on board and feeds you? Note that the preference would be to leave as close to Kihei as possible -- no point driving over to Lahaina to cruise all the way back, then driving home again...

Pride of Maui Snorkeling Trips | Maui’s Best Molokini Snorkel Tour - we did it some years ago. They also do SNuba. You can dive while the family snorkels also if you want.
They leave out of Ma'alea Harbor - by the Ocean Center.

Trilogy looked like more fun since they sail over - smaller group - we saw them once near Molokini. TRILOGY |

I don't think you'll find any of the bigger boats leaving out of Kihei. Where would they moor to load/unload?

Kai Kanani for sure! My husband and I went out to Molokini with them last year, and it was an excellent experience. Their "early bird" trip will get you there well before the other snorkel boats show up, so you'll have the crater almost entirely to yourselves. Also, it's a much shorter, quicker ride there and back.

Another option is to go with Maui Snorkel Tours. It is a guided snorkel with a maximum of 6 people. They will be more up close and personal with the fish and turtles than going out to Molokini. Check Tripadvisor.

I can always count on scubaboard. Kai Kanani wins, as it's a stone's throw from where I'm staying, and minimizes the travel time in all ways. Plus its small. Thanks, all!

We always take the Alii Nui out to Molokini once a year. I dive but my wife doesn't. It's a big catamaran run by Maui Dive Shop. It's pricier than most snorkel boats, but the day of pampering and luxury is worth it. They allow a few certified divers to dive if they wish. They run two trips; Molokini and Olowalu. They like to run "spur of the minute" discover scuba classes off the back of the boat but are prohibited from doing that at Molokini. So if you dive with them while the kids snorkel it's often a private DM dive. The most I've had is to share the DM with one other diver.

The food on the boat is something else. It's a hot buffet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom