Ocean shore diving in Texas, is it being done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not heard of or known anyone to shore dive on the coast, you usually have to go a few miles or more off shore to get to clear water.

I don't know anyone who does this regularly. Island Dive takes classes to Offat's Bayou but viz is 2' or less usually. Your enthusiasm is great but it's just not worth it. I love shore diving for the convenience, flexibility, and cost. If there was anywhere decent nearby I'd be there. I drive to Pensacola for shore diving several times a year, going again next weekend.

I did a 3 Tank 3 Rig Dive out of Port Aransas with Out to Sea Adventures on the Orion, nicely priced ($275) and 30 miles offshore, Dives were nice but the Boat is SLOOOOooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww (saving fuel). Lots of fish, great spearfishing, good dive master & Captain. They are not a "hold your hand" operation.

I mean walking from the shore into the water and then trying to swim to where visibility is present.

Most people consider "shore dives" to be beach or jetties, not freshwater lakes. There is one salt water shore dive in Texas that gets sometimes decent reviews, the Aransas jetties. Late summer it allegedly gets 10-15 foot viz but you have to be real careful about tidal currents and entanglement hazards.

---------- Post Merged at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:38 PM ----------

I did a 3 Tank 3 Rig Dive out of Port Aransas with Out to Sea Adventures on the Orion, nicely priced ($275) and 30 miles offshore, Dives were nice but the Boat is SLOOOOooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww (saving fuel). Lots of fish, great spearfishing, good dive master & Captain. They are not a "hold your hand" operation.

You can go out of Freeport on Capt Beard Charters for $220 for 3 tanks and it is a FAAaasstt boat, we average 26mph in 2-3 foot seas. I've been DM on 4 or 5 trips this summer and we will "hold your hand" if you need it or turn you loose if you don't.

Most people consider "shore dives" to be beach or jetties, not freshwater lakes.

And while the distinction is incorrect (a shore is a shore), I too share that prejudice.

The point about no real shore diving in Texas is well made when a website dedicated to shore diving lists basically nothing for Texas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom