recommendations for an overnight in Male?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

song

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're getting really excited about our upcoming LOB. We'll arrive approximately 30 hours before embarkation and will need to spend one night at a hotel.

Kinda thinking about Traders Hotel simply for their pool to help our jet lag. Another place, which is very different, is Sala Boutique Hotel because of their excellent reviews for customer service, Thai food and and massage. Yes, I've heard that there is not much to do in Male itself, but thought one night should do it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It looks like your budget is a bit different from mine, but SKAI Lodge is a clean, quiet, $60/night aircon room with wifi. It's walking distance from the Male's airport-ferry port.

Thanks, SuperGaijin. Skai looks like it would work just fine. A certain traveling companion would probably pout. He's leaning more towards Traders as being "ok" especially since he's not making/paying the reservations.

We stayed at Traders a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. No booze in Male but the hotel is great. Food was great as was the service. Just don't expect much of Male as it is not a tourist town. Another option is the resort on Karumba (I think that is the spelling) island. It is just a few minutes from the airport and is very nice. We went over there for a few drinks and said that would be our transfer hotel next time.

There's also some hotels in Hulhumale, away from the hustle and bustle of the city, which has it's pluses and minuses. Loona hotel was nice, quiet, free wifi, literally across the street from the beach (though I didn't go in the water there, so can't comment on that). They included taxi service to/from the airport and/or nearby dock for liveaboard transfers. Rooms were on the small side, but I think that's the norm for the area? Paid a tad over $100USD/nt via one of the hotel booking sites.

There is a hotel on the airport island. Its pretty pricey and not much above the quality of a Travelodge.

Have you thought of going to a nearby resort. There are some 3* resorts a 10 min speedboat trip from the airport. We've been sent to them a couple of times by an airline when our homeward flight has been delayed/cancelled. Apologies, i cannot recall the names, but might be worth you looking into.

since we're traveling all the way from the US I feel like we ought to spend just a little bit of time seeing Male (yes, I have heard it is not really a tourist destination). We'll be exhausted from the flights so most of the time will be spent napping and hopefully can get a massage. Karumba had been recommended; it seemed like a waste of money to spend such a short number of waking hours there for the price. Same for the big hotel at the airport (almost like an over-priced holding-pen to sequester the international travelers with booze). Hotel Loona might be a good compromise. Thanks for the suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom