Local News Cameraman dies off of Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is more info in a post in the So Cal forum here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/socal/430951-makes-two-week-please-safe-out-there.html. He was on the Sundiver Express out of Long Beach.

As far as what happened- we may never know for sure but he was at the surface and got immediate attention (they were diving very close to the chamber). All indications are that it was a medical issue and not an OOA, rapid ascent, DCI or other diving issue.

I had the pleasure of diving with Artie in the Cayman Islands in 2008 with a friend of mine. He was a great diver and the nicest man you could meet. R.I.P Artie....................

I had the pleasure of diving with Artie in the Cayman Islands in 2008 with a friend of mine. He was a great diver and the nicest man you could meet. R.I.P Artie....................

Thanks, K. He really was special. He will be missed.

As far as cause, I also suspect medical issues, but I don't want to speculate, and am waiting for the final word after the investigation is complete. However, I dived with him several times, and he was a very careful and experienced diver.

My condolences to the family and friends.

My condolences to Artie's family and friends. I
also had the pleasure of diving with Artie in Fiji, Barbados and Tobago. He was a very experienced diver and the nicest guy I have ever met. I will miss him dearly.

Per Pastor Marlon Saunders of Valencia Christian Center (where Artie was an Usher):

The Homegoing Celebration for Artie Williams has been confirmed:

The service will be:
Tuesday, August 28th
11:00AM
Grace Baptist Church
22833 Copper Hill Drive
Santa Clarita, CA 91350

The outpouring of love and support for Artie was so great VCC couldn't hold the expected crowd. Grace Baptist will host as they have a much larger sanctuary.

Back
Top Bottom