Shutter speeds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interceptor121

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
According to the 180 rule at a given frame rate you double to get the better shutter speed so for 30 fps I would select 1/60

Now what about shooting at 60 fps? The next available speed is 1/125 which makes some of the footage very dark unless the ISO goes up which means more noise

Is anybody shooting at 60 fps with 1/125 how do you find it? Do you then port it down to 30 fps to watch it on the Tv?

I would think it depends on what final look you are after and the final media format you are shooting for. It seems like 60p is quite popular for capturing raw slow motion source material. Often, they have the frame rate even higher (eg 1/400th) to get really sharp individual frames. Then they run it through a frame generating tool (eg. Twixtor) which uses the overly sharp 60p images to generate 'N' slow motion frames between two actual frames but at finished frame rates of either 24p or 30p.

Also, not all display devices can playback 1080 @ 60p so if you are able to shoot that (which would be very nice for slow motion source at 1080p) you will still need to knock it down to 30p or 24p. But your original source will not then have the motion blur which would be more correct for the slower frame rate.

It would seem like it would be best to shoot in your final desired playback format (if you can). If part of the material is slow motion source then that would be shot higher (and faster shutter speed) but would be reprocessed back in later at the final frame rate.

Then again, maybe everyone will just shoot 1080 @60p in the near future and down convert. I hope someone chimes in that has experience using 60p source material for the entire film source and then converting back to 24p for example. Is it worth it or is it just better to shoot at 24p where the shutter speed will be 1/50th and the motion blur will look appropriate.

I can confirm that the shutter speed rule holds on water too
So the steps are:
1 choose your frame rate. In my case 30 fps as I can't play 60p
2 set shutter speed to 1/60
3 set aperture : I have a compact video so effectively infinite depth of filed quite soon
4 set ISO
I found that some times you have to close the aperture down to the minimum and set the ISO at minimum too and with 1/60 you are border line and it can get too bright so having a filter to take another fstop down us a good idea
60p sounds good in theory but it requires 1/125 shutter speed which means shooting with light all the time. If you then down convert to 30 fps is still watchable
I will post some uneventful test footage soon

Oh why mess around. Just get a Femto Camera. Shoots at 1,000,000,000,000 fps. It can take great photos and even capture a 1,000,000,000,000 of a second long laser beam in slow motion. That will stop those fish in their tracks.
Ramesh Raskar: Imaging at a trillion frames per second | Video on TED.com The link will show you light in slow motion.

You haven't understood anything about the post
The rule of the shutter speed is to achieve smooth motion nothing to do with high frame rates
In fact 1/60 of a second is rather slow and in slow motion fast fish action will be blurred
However at normal rate it will look just fine

Back
Top Bottom