Newbie pondering dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking at picking up a pair of dive computers; one each for my wife and I. We're both pretty new divers; each with 8 logged dives under our belts. We're heading down to the Caribbean for a cruise next month and figure its a good time to invest in some gear as we've got 4 dives planned. I'm planning on continuing with a dive education, including rescue diver, deep diving, and probably some wreck diving down the road. I'll be taking PADI Advanced Open Water later this year as a first step. The wife is content with keeping things shallow and easy. We're both Nitrox certified as well.

I've been kind of looking at the Suunto kit as I know that company's rep for instruments. I was thinking a Zoop for her as its probably more than enough. For me, I'm kind of waffling between a Vyper Air and a D4i, as a computer that will be capable of progressing as I start doing some more things down the road. I can't for the life of me decide which one to go with at this point. Someone else recommended I just go with a Zoop as well and then upgrade to a more advanced computer down the road.

I'm all ears for anyone pointing me in one direction, the other….or in completely different directions.

I appreciate any insight y'all might want to lend.

Well.... Suunto makes solid instruments and the zoop has all the functionality you need for air and Nitrox so you can't go wrong with that.

What may seem counter intuitive right now is that advanced functionality of a dive computer actually becomes *less* important as you progress and get more experience. In fact, what you may miss in the Zoop down the road could be that it doesn't have a gauge mode that would allow you to disable the "computer" and just let it show you depth and time like a simple bottom timer. When you get to that point, though, you can buy simple bottom timers cheaply.

It's hard to advise someone over the internet on what to buy but I can say this: Don't buy a D4i because it can do something the Zoop can't and you think you'll need that functionality down the road. In my mind that would be a waste of money. If you like the way it looks then buy it because it looks cool or you think the wrist watch format has some advantage but not because of "advanced" functionality....

Hope that helps.

R..

I use a Mares Puck which does both Air and Nitrox. I chose it because it is super-simple to use AND you can change the battery yourself by opening the back of the computer with a quarter. This is important when your computer craps out on the dive boat, etc.

The Puck has only one button and sometimes it can be a pain to have to scroll through everything if you miss you spot, but I've found it to be very reliable, easy to read under water and easy to use. I care a spare battery for it in my save-a-dive kit.

Whatever computer you choose, think about ease of operation, diver ability to adjust the algorithm to be more or less conservative and whether or not you need to take it back to the dive shop to change the battery.

Happy Diving!

Whatever dive computer you end up purchasing, make sure you learn how to properly use it.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Go with the Vyper Air it use the same battery as the Zoop and they are both user replacable.

+1 on the gauge mode. Also look into the display and your eye site. My first computer had me squinting too much and I replaced in short order. The second one I'm outgrowing and I am progressing back to the brass gauge and bottom timer. Funny how it get cheaper as you progress.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom