Thoughts on an Atomic B2 Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BJTAtlanta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am thinking about purchasing this expensive regulator, but wanted to see if anyone has any experience and feedback for me. Thanks in advance!

The Atomic B2 has been my workhorse reg for 4-5 years now, probably 150 dives or so. I can definitely say that it breathes effortlessly no matter what your situation, and no matter what your depth or orientation underwater. It's a first-class reg, and only having to take it in for service every other year is a bonus.

After about 20 dives with it, the first stage did tend to generate some very high-pitched whistling noises during a breath. At least I'm pretty sure it was the 1st stage. I found it very annoying, almost painful even, due to the loudness and high pitch. But all it took was a trip back to my LDS where I purchased it. They re-tuned it and the problem has never occurred since.

You cannot go wrong with an Atomic as your primary reg(s). I started with an ST1, now dive M1s on my doubles, and the woman dives a B2. If you want a budget reg that's still very good, there are other brands. But of the "top tier" regs, I choose Atomic because of the outstanding direct customer service. Also, I've had excellent results buying used Atomic regs here on the SB forums if you're worried about cost. Obviously, that means taking on the full cost of repairs if something does go wrong, though.

The only thing I wouldn't recommend an Atomic for is as a stage reg, given the seat saver.

Just got mine after a ton of research. I also work at a dive shop and that reg is our best seller. What everyone has said on here is great. I will add that the 2nd stage has all titanium internal parts and they do a lifetime warranty not based on servicing. Definitely a great reg to start with and it could easily last through your diving career.

I have a ton of them. By a ton, I mean I have 2 Ti2's, 2 M1's, a B1, and another B1. My wife has 2 Ti2's, 4 M1's. My boat has a few Ti2's in rental. My crew have 24 Ti1's between them, along with a handful of the monel type. I use B2's as emergency regulators for hang bottles. As mentioned, the seat saver is the most annoying feature, but for a primary reg, I don't think you can go wrong.

Can you explain the seat saver and what makes it annoying? Thanks.

Can you explain the seat saver and what makes it annoying? Thanks.

With most regulators, the seat n the second stage lays on the knife edge, giving it a "set", requiring frequent adjustment to keep it breathing easily. The Atomic is designed so the seat comes off the knife edge when not pressurized, so the seat never acquires a set. Bad thing is, when used as a deco reg, if you don't make sure the cylinder is charged at all times, the water will go backwards through the second stage and will infiltrate the first stage, all the way. That gives you a first stage that is full of seawater, with it's obvious drawbacks.

When you take deco procedures training, you are taught to charge your deco and stage regs then shut them off. This saves gas if your purge button gets pressed, you won't have a free flow. I have to remember to charge my sidebars when diving with Atomics so I won't fill my O2 clean regs full of salt water. Since the OP is considering a back gas regulator, he would have it charged all the time he is in the water, so it wouldn't be a problem.

It is, however, a problem if you want to soak the regulator while it is not pressurized.

I've only seen drawings, but my understanding is that the way the atomic seat saver works is that the orifice is installed on a spring washer, so that when the regulator is not pressurized, the orifice is pushed away from the seat. This is different from the scubapro S600 system, that uses a balance chamber to more-or-less remove spring tension from the seat when not pressurized. So the seat/orifice is in contact, just with such slight pressure that it would take years to form an appreciable groove in the seat.

In a way it's a neat idea, somewhat similar to the way old sherwood first stages were balanced. But it does complicate orifice adjustment, I don't know exactly how it's set up, but a moving 2nd stage orifice means you can't simply adjust it via threads in the air barrel. There's got to be some sort of carrier for the orifice that's adjusted. And the fact that you can't soak the reg unless it's on a tank would be a deal breaker for me.

I would like to clear up some of the statements from previous posters. The seat saving orifice is not an alternative design to the balance chamber, the Atomic regulators are also balanced with a balance chamber. The balance chamber does reduce spring pressure to the seat to mostly to improve the ease of breathing. Over time the seat is still damaged which is why balanced regulators still have a one year service interval. Adjusting the Atomic is very similar to the other regulators, with the proper tools this is done with the regulator pressurize and is virtually the same. One difference is you don’t need to increase the pressure to the seat as much because you won’t get the added wear groove to the seat overtime. The 2 year service interval is largely due to the seat saving orifice.
So now for maintaining the second stage. You do not want to soak the second stage as stated above. With the titanium design soaking is really not necessary. What I do is I hang the regulator up with the second stages dangling and rinse them with a hose. Then let the dry. If they are connected to a tank I still rinse with a hose and then use tank pressure to help dry them. Very easy and they will never show any signs of corrosion because titanium does not corrode.
Probably not the best regulator for a staging bottle, but it is the best breathing/preforming regulator I have ever used in my 40 years of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom