Help needed with two Commensal Shrimps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me identify these two commensal shrimps that I've photographed this past weekend at Sodwana Bay, South Africa. I assumed them both to be some species of Periclimenes but I understand that this genus has been split into a numebr of different genera and I'm not really even sure where to start my research.

The first one was photographed at a depth of 24m and shared an anemone (I think it's a Stichodactyla species) with a Twobar Anemonefish (Amphiprion allardi). It was really small, body length probably in the range of 1cm. Unfortunately my pictures aren't great, but I'm hoping it will be good enough for an ID.
Periclimenes_sp_1.jpg

Periclimenes_sp_2.jpg

The second one was a fair bit bigger, probably around 7cm in length and was photographed at 30m depth. It was sitting on the outside of an anemone that I don't know the species of either. It was in close proximity to a few Thor amboinensis shrimps which are not visible in these images.
Periclimenes_sp_3.jpg

Periclimenes_sp_4.jpg

Periclimenes_sp_5.jpg

I'd be very grateful if someone could assist with the ID's.

TIA

Not sure about the first; second one may be glass (white spot) anemone shrimp (P. brevicarpalis)? First one may be a juvie?

Thanks but I am pretty sure the second one is not P. brevicarpalis. Apart from the white patches being in all the wrong places on the body and the banding on the limbs being very different, the slender shape of the body is also very different from the more squat looking P. brevicarpalis.

The first one might be a juvenile of sorts but I suspect it is not, simply because it is a fairly common species which I've seen in different spots, always in the same species of anemone. I've just never been able to identify it with the limited material at my disposal.

My guess is the first pics are of Periclimenes ornatus, the markings are a match at least. Not sure if this species has been documented in S.A.

The second does not look like anything else, my first inclination was periclimenes as well, but the legs are pigmented, and the banding resembles a cleaner shrimp, hmmm. Good luck with that one, could be undescribed species?

Brilliant! Thanks for that. P. ornatus certainly is known from the southern Indian ocean so it is very much a contender. I had considered it, and disregarded it, because the reference material I have shows it with a more orange body. However, some Googling now produced numerous hits of the animal with a clear body like in my picture. I think you nailed it, thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom