Fin quandary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried ScubaPro's Seawing Nova's? They are light weight, positively buoyant and don't weigh a ton. I bought those first but they had so much torque that they made my right knee tweak a bit. They might be okay for you. My son dives them and loves them.

What about the Aeris Velocity 3? I haven't tried them yet but they look good. Spring strap, blade fin, combination materials, fairly lightweight.
I'm considering getting some because of the sizing.

i had both legs cramp the first dive with slipstreams, haven't had any issues since

If you are using primarily a flutter kick, the SeaWing Novas are fantastic for power, and they are not heavy.

If you are using all the kicks, consider the DiveRite EXPs for a paddle fin. They are fairly stiff, but light. If that's too stiff, consider the very inexpensive DeepSee Pulses. I use them in the pool. They are light and flexible; I don't like them in open water because they aren't stiff enough to suit me, but I suspect many people would find them perfectly usable, and they are definitely inexpensive.

I have Tusa Xpert Zooms & Hollis f1's & have zero issues frog kicking in either fin..
They move me just fine & the frog is my kick of choice..

I used Tusa XPert Zoom fins for the first year I dived and I could never frog kick in them properly (kicking hard but not moving much). Found a brand new pair of Mares Avanti Quattro on eBay for $70. I'm going to give those a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Might I suggest the Tusa Imprex? Really good fin at a very reasonable price. That is my oldest son's fin of choice. My youngest son and I have Tusa Liberator X-10s and use them for dives when, for one reason or another, we don't use our Jetfins.

What about the Aeris Velocity 3? I haven't tried them yet but they look good. Spring strap, blade fin, combination materials, fairly lightweight.
I'm considering getting some because of the sizing.
I have a set of these and really like them. Lots of power, but not too stiff. I have tried Jetfins, APS Manta Rays, Tusa Xpert Zoom and like the Aeris the best....I don't care for split fins, they are not good when you really need some power.

Your getting a ton of fin advice, but maybe what you need to do is figure out why you can not frog kick in Force Fins? I own several pairs of fins including Force Fins. If you can not frog kick in Force Fins your doing something wrong. The frog kick will be possible in just about any fin.

Maybe go to the pool with a friend who is into diving and see what you are doing. I can frog kick in anything including splits. The newer fins tend to be light but they are expensive. But sounds like you need training not new fins... :fish:

I've been diving using Force Fins for more than 3 years, in a variety of conditions. FWIW my exact statement in the original post was they "didn't work at all for frog." Considering your comment, it seems that needs to be qualified. Of course frog kicks can be done in Pro Force Fins, but I don't think they work well for that kick.

The ankle flicking type of movement that takes advantage of the upwards curve of the blade in the down stroke of a flutter kick does not move me efficiently with a frog kick. I think that's because a frog kick is attempting to get a working stroke out of what would normally be the up-kick part of a flutter stroke. The blades feel like they are collapsing. For frog, it seems it would be helpful if the blade curve were reversed. I'm certainly not the only diver who thinks that.

Your getting a ton of fin advice, but maybe what you need to do is figure out why you can not frog kick in Force Fins? I own several pairs of fins including Force Fins. If you can not frog kick in Force Fins your doing something wrong. The frog kick will be possible in just about any fin.

Maybe go to the pool with a friend who is into diving and see what you are doing. I can frog kick in anything including splits. The newer fins tend to be light but they are expensive. But sounds like you need training not new fins... :fish:

---------- Post Merged at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:03 AM ----------

I dived today in a pair of Mares Quattro fins I picked up on eBay. They're a lot lighter than the Hollis F1s or OMS Slipstreams, and they didn't cause my feet to sink. They performed really efficently with frog kicks and helicopter turns, and I could back kick in them. No cramping. Thanks for the suggestion. :D

Try Mares Avanti Excel or Quattro fins. I find that they're definitely stiff enough to do a good frog kick, but not so stiff as to cause cramps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom