Anyone bought a Cochran lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queequeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wondering if anyone has bought one lately or if people are still buying these. I'm particularly interested in the Cochran Gemini since my LDS that I DM for sells them; owner loves his. Some people love them, swear by them, others hate them. Such mixed reviews but most them are dated, nothing too recent.

I know the latest rage is Liquivision, Shearwater, but I'm interested in Cochran since I can get a good deal on them.

You can't beat the customer service. They will definetly back it up and support you. I would check to see if this computer is similar to older cochran's which used volatile memory and under stand that if it does you must keep the battery changed. With volatile memory you will lose all programing making the computer useless if you allow the battery to die and the computer to remain without power.

I been using Cochran EMC16 and the EMC20 lately. I like the large fonts and the fact that data is analyzed every second. Using the analyst software you can view the dive profiles and charts of your dives, as well as keep the log data and other information in your PC.
Two weeks ago the emc20 leaked and died, I sent it to cochran since it was 6 days short for the warranty due date. They offer my a refurbished replacement with 90 days warranty or a brand new computer with a very good price, including a 2 years warranty. I Choose the new computer and fedex will deliver it by Monday. I am happy with the service they provided.

You can't beat the customer service. They will definetly back it up and support you. I would check to see if this computer is similar to older cochran's which used volatile memory and under stand that if it does you must keep the battery changed. With volatile memory you will lose all programing making the computer useless if you allow the battery to die and the computer to remain without power.

Please note:

If the batteries are allowed to discharge too low, or if removed for too
long, the EMC-20H may enter a state where it will not turn on even
with new batteries. If this occurs, remove the batteries and allow the
unit to set for 30 minutes and then install fresh batteries. This
procedure could affect the internal Time of Day Clock‟s settings and
these settings should be verified via the Analyst® P.C. Interface.
CAUTION!!! COMPLETE LOSS OF BATTERY POWER MAY CAUSE
ALL PREVIOUS DIVE NITROGEN LOADING TO BE LOST. THIS
WILL AFFECT NITROGEN CALCULATIONS ON NEAR-FUTURE
DIVES. AFTER A BATTERY CHANGE, CONFIRM THAT NO-
DECOMPRESSION TIME DATA IS REASONABLE IN THE PRE-DIVE
PREDICTION MODE. DIVE-OF-DAY NUMBER GOING TO ZERO
IMMEDIATELY AFTER CHANGING BATTERIES IS ANOTHER
INDICATION OF A LOSS OF NITROGEN LOADING.
if there any change on altitude it will be reflect on a NO Fly time on the screen.

You can program your computer on the field with the wet/ metal contact, and also you can clone the nitrogen loading from another computer in case is need it (no other computer on the market can do this).

I'm happy to help you, drop me an email.

---------- Post Merged at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Just wondering if anyone has bought one lately or if people are still buying these. I'm particularly interested in the Cochran Gemini since my LDS that I DM for sells them; owner loves his. Some people love them, swear by them, others hate them. Such mixed reviews but most them are dated, nothing too recent.

I know the latest rage is Liquivision, Shearwater, but I'm interested in Cochran since I can get a good deal on them.

I'm a heavy user, it's the only one computer except for my brain that I use
icosm14.gif

need help! Drop me an email. I'm happy to help you.

My best,
C

I just sold one recently. I believe it was the EMC20. We've been a Cochran dealer since the beginning, and their customer service is good, but if it's in your price range Shearwater Predator is better in every way. Cochran is old technology. It was king in the day, but that day is more than a decade ago.

I was seriously looking at Cochran but they are not Mac compatible. Other top brands (Liquivision and Shearwater) are and even have iPhone and iPad applications coming soon. Cochran could probably grab a little more market share by considering these features in my opinion :)

In order for Cochran to take market share away from the top two, they'd have to start from scratch.

I'm a hardcore Cochran fan and I have a Gemini and an EMC20H fully unlocked for my CCR backup. The Cochran looks plain, but looks are deceiving.

Cochran is still years ahead of the competition IMO in logging, automatic features, and ease of use. The Cochran can get tedious if you are putting in mixes etc, intervals, CC to OC deco bailout option etc, but for EAN and general OW you just put it on your wrist and dive.

The Gemini has the BEST logging of any AI computer, customizable features, and automatically alters its algorithm on SAC, temperature, salinity, and bariometric pressure. I have a Shearwater and a Cochran and if I want to know what depth I'm really at I'll check the Cochran.

When you travel with it make sure you pack it in your carryon so it will record the pressure changes in the plane as it also has a flight recorder. If you ever get bent there is not a better reference then a Cochran IMO.

Owned a Commander in the early to mid 90's, and now a EMC-20H which is now going on year #2 of diving. I do like mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom