Failed Checkout Dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BuiltLikeABulldog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sunday was my last day... last 2 dives... I passed everything without a problem, we had no exercises to do at all. We just needed bottom time for me to get my cert. I took 12 hour Sudafed at 6am and the boat was leaving at 7! All was good! As we were going to the dive site I got really tired and qweezy.... I find out... I'm allergic to Sudafed. My parents have similar reactions so it was never in my house growing up... So I slept on board the ship, not able to sit up, move, eat, drink, talk for 3 hours as everybody else enjoyed an amazing reef dive off of Breakers West Palm Beach.... I know it sounds like "First World Problems" but missing that dive has made me feel more disappointed, then I have ever felt in my life.

Sorry to hear that. Glad you found out above the water rather than underwater though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

So I take it your instructor never mentioned not to take a decongestant before diving. The allergic reaction should be bad enough, but try getting a reverse block on ascent after the meds wear off. Not fun at all and somewhat painful.

No worries. You sound like you had a great first 2 dives and if you have no more skills to do underwater then just arrange to go back out and enjoy it. By the way, sgl308 is dead on about the meds. Don't do it.

You didn't fail anything. You just didn't do your last 2 dives yet for a perfectly good reason.

I would hardly consider that failing. From time to time, people do get seasick and miss dives for all sorts of reasons. Now you know and you can finish your cert next time. No big deal.

why did you take the sudafed?

as mentioned previously, it is not a good idea to take a decongestant to relieve cold symptoms before diving due to the risk of a reverse block. However, I probably wouldn't take any new medication immediately prior to a dive, since I don't know how it will affect me.

Obviously you made the right call on not doing the dives. While it won't happen often, I'm sure it won't be the last time you decide to call a dive before it's even begun. Knowing when not to dive, and to be willing to sit it out on the boat is almost as important as any in-water safety skill. While I know I am in the minority here on the board, I do not have the same aversion to using medication pre-dive, just know the risks and mitigate them the best you can (sudafed is part of my save-a-dive kit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom