Line of Duty Death of Firefighter Jim Reardon of North Dakota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pantheraba

Registered
Reaction score
This info from a site that follows FF accidents/events:

NORTH DAKOTA FIREFIGHTER DIES WHILE PREPARING FOR WATER RESCUE TRAINING DETAIL

The Secret List [url]www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com[/URL]
It is with deep regret that we advise you of the Line of Duty Death of Firefighter Jim Reardon of North Dakota. We received the following information from the Fire Academy of North Dakota ,Chief Darrell Graf:

"It is with deepest sorrow I inform you of the loss of one of our team members at approximately 4:30 Saturday afternoon. Firefighter/Photographer Jim Reardon and I were on an exploratory dive starting at about 3:45 pm to pre-plan diving for interested team members on the weekend of August 18th.

After a short time of diving, Jim and I somehow got separated, and I started looking for his bubbles on the surface of the lake, and after finding none, returned to the dock. While en route, I found one of Jim's fins (flippers) and tried for about 15 minutes to find his location. With ripples on the water, it was extremely difficult to find bubbles, and began to look with binoculars and continued to search the lake - presuming Jim was probably videoing underwater, but becoming highly concerned. A few minutes later, Mr. and Mrs. Eric Enslin showed up with a boat, and I explained the situation, and they offered to have me come aboard and search. After 10-15 minutes, I asked to go back to the dock, and while approaching the dock, in about 8' of water about 30' from the dock, Jim lied face up in the lake. This was "Lake 7", a premier western Minnesota diving spot located near the city of Frazee, MN.

Jim had been to that lake on dives probably 25 times, as well as several other places. We were checking that renowned dive lake to conduct the pre-drill survey for a team dive, and had one lake other we were going to check on this morning.

I (along with his wife and responding rescuer's) presume Jim had a heart attack or some other medical issue arise, as ALL equipment was in proper working order, and he had about 2/3 of his air left. The mask was in place, the buoyancy compensator worked excellent, as I used that to raise him from the bottom of the lake, and dragged him the short distance to shore. Although some efforts were made to revive him, it was clear to me upon first sight of Jim there was not chance. An investigation continues by the Ottertail County Sheriffs Department and Ottertail County Coroner on this matter.
I have been in contact with the family this morning, and we can expect to know probably Monday what the funeral arrangements are.

I will then pass the funeral arrangements on to all members as soon as I know them. Jim has been a lifelong friend of mine and joined up with us in April, 2010. Many of you met Jim on the April 2010 Superior Wisconsin Marine Fire Training program. Jim leaves behind his wife, Michelle and four children, Cole, Taylor, Paige and Clare. I will have follow - up information sent to you as soon as I receive it. Darrell Graf 0358 AM August 5, 2012."

HERE is a link to their HOME page: http://www.ndfire.com/fireacademy/home.html
As always our sincere condolences to all affected.
Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
BillyG
The Secret List 8-5-12 / 1054 Hours
www.FireFighterCloseCalls.com

Prayers to everyone.

I know what it is like to pull a friend out. My deepest sympathies to the family and the Team.
Jared

NORTH DAKOTA FIREFIGHTER LODD UPDATE:
The wife of Deceased Volunteer Firefighter Jim Reardon has made contact with the Fire Academy of North Dakota and indicated his death was caused by a sudden cardiac event/heart attack that's reported to have been irreversible at the time that he was preparing the water rescue training event. FF Reardons lungs were reportedly dry, indicating this was not a drowning.
Wake - St Michaels Church Buckman, MN Friday, Aug 10 from 4 - 8 PM
Funeral - St. Michaels Church, Buckman MN Saturday, Aug 11 at 11:00 AM RIP.
Take Care-BE CAREFUL.
BillyG
The Secret List 8-7-12 / 1302 Hours

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom