Why a specialized luggage bag? What makes it so special?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much is very little?

Probably ways more than my decade old duffel bag.

Carry-on rollers+duffel bag> specialized "label-brand" luggage bags.

When buying a specialized bag you're paying as much for label as you are the actual construction.

I do own an Oakley backpack but I got that as a gift, otherwise my luggage is all generic brand. I can appreciate nice things as much as the next guy, but your bags will most likely be sitting in a hotel room or packed away during a trip, very few of the features of "specialized" bags are worth the price tags.

Best I can tell, so thieves won't have to overtax themselves choosing which bag has the high cost stuff to steal.
And of course so that the airline can charge extra for golf and dive bags..
(Sorry if thats been mentioned already)

I just use a lightweight hardshell suitcase and be done with it. Its as anonymous as any other case on the flight, the airline aint gonna bug me and the gears not gonna be crushed..

I weight my empty bags, then pack the lighter ones.

I use a name brand name lightweight dive bag. I like it's features and it holds up well. The cost works out to be about $15 per dive trip. With a dive trip costing $4 - $5,000 I don't really care if the $15 is overpriced.

I just use a white hefty bag. It doubles as a surface marker.

Reminded me: I need to carry out the garbage for the truck that runs tomorrow.

smiley-linie-009.gif

I think the plastic zippers are the only advantage. I used a Timberland rolling duffel for 1 1/2 seasons before the zipper corroded from the saltwater. Oh and the axel broke when I tried to hide my 40 cu ft pony in it from the subway cops. :p

I do 5-6 international dive trips a year requiring air travel, and think "scuba brand" luggage and Pelican cases might as well have "STEAL ME!" written on them in big day-glow letters. My checked dive and photo gear go in non-descript hard sided samsonite cases and columbia rolling duffels.

Back
Top Bottom