Changing hoses on Hog Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've done a lot of reading on this board and concluded that the Edge/HOG set will suit my needs just fine at this point in my diving life.

When my reg arrives I'll need to put the SPG on. Do I need to wrap teflon tape, or any other kind of sealer, around the treads on the SPG hose?

Last edited by a moderator:
When my reg arrives I'll need to put the SPG on. Do I need to wrap teflon tape, or any other kind of sealer, around the treads on the SPG hose?

Nope, you don't have to put anything on the threads.

Hog regs are pretty good. I just replaced 4 of mine with Hog.

Last edited by a moderator:
When fitting the hoses to your first stage make sure the o-rings are undamaged and in place.
Do not screw them on hard, tighten by hand and only give a very very gentle touch with a wrench, they will not come undone under pressure

After reading a lot on the forum, there seemed to be a reasonable amount of talk about rec. divers going towards a longer hose from the primary to the secondary. Some people felt that 7' may be too long, and 5' may be a good length. So I ordered a 5' hose with my Edge/HOG reg. It hasn't arrived yet so I decided to take a 5' vinyl tape measure and measure from the back of my neck, under my arm, around the back of my head to the right side of my mouth. Perhaps that's not how I should be running it, but I don't think it's going to be long enough if that is the correct path. Can someone shed some light on whether I'm routing a 5' hose properly or not. Thanks.

Ed

I've done a lot of reading on this board and concluded that the Edge/HOG set will suit my needs just fine at this point in my diving life.

In my decidely non professional opinion...

When you get your gear, you will find:
1. the 1st stage reg (of course)
2. the hp hose which mates to a hp port, this will screw directly to the hp port, as states previously, just hand tighten and then snug up with a wrench.
3. the hp spool, which is a small piece of metal with a tiny o-ring on either side
4. the spg

You will put the hp spool into the hp hose and then put the spg onto the hp hose. Again, hand tighten and then snug up with a wrench.

Once you have put 2nd stages onto reg, hook it up to a tank and pressure it up (make sure you install your second stages so you can relieve the pressure from the reg!!!) Check for any leaks, even throw the rig in a bathtub to check for bubbles if you want. Tighten anything that leaks (hopefully nothing).

After reading a lot on the forum, there seemed to be a reasonable amount of talk about rec. divers going towards a longer hose from the primary to the secondary. Some people felt that 7' may be too long, and 5' may be a good length. So I ordered a 5' hose with my Edge/HOG reg. It hasn't arrived yet so I decided to take a 5' vinyl tape measure and measure from the back of my neck, under my arm, around the back of my head to the right side of my mouth. Perhaps that's not how I should be running it, but I don't think it's going to be long enough if that is the correct path. Can someone shed some light on whether I'm routing a 5' hose properly or not. Thanks.

Ed

If I'm picturing correctly it sounds like you have it the right way. I too found the 5' a little short, I only OW rec dive, would like to try a 6' hose as I think that might be the ideal length for me. FWIW at the moment I dive the bungeed back up and primary is on a 44" hose routed under my arm with a 90degree adaptor attached to 2nd stage. I quite like this set up, very streamlined.

I have sold more than a few set ups with the 6 ft hose. Works great for bigger people who don't want to dive a 7 and we feel that a 5 may be too short.

I just returned a 5ft hose I ordered online because I found it was too short for me (5'10" and 245lbs). Thankfully, since I wasn't sure about it I also ordered a 7ft at the same time. Two dives later, I have no doubts 7ft was the right call for me. A smaller diver could easily use a 6ft comfortably, and I think I could to, but with my spare air holster on my right hip the 7ft routes perfectly. I don't even notice the extra hose...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom