PADI Master Scuba Diver - what does it give you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an inexpensive card. If you are a dive pro, you won't have to do any training to get the card, just fill out an application and pay a filing fee. Then, if you are on a boat and have to show a C card, you flash the master diver card instead of Divemaster. The boat knows you have some skills but doesn't lean on you to take care of the less experienced folks. After all, you are on vacation- right?

If you are a dive pro, you can apply for certification to teach the course that way, indicating that you have the experience the course requires. Some of the specialties have additional requirements. For example, if you want to teach the cavern specialty, you must have full cave certification.

A small percentage of instructors feel they must hide their true status while on vacation to avoid either liability or the being forced to teach someone, but the vast majority probably realize that it has no effect on liability, a dive operation that wants you to come back and/or refer other divers to them will not force them to have an unpleasant dive, and there are usually a number of benefits to showing your true certification status. This is the first post I have ever read that suggests that pros fake a MSD card or even use a valid one for this reason.

Sure, but so too is Rescue, so the pragmatic question is that from the perspective of a diver who's shown a Rescue card, just how much more 'proficiency' does a Master card really mean?

Since specializations can vary so widely, we can't be assured of their content, so the answer must be: "Not Much". That's IMO where the popular cynicism comes from where the poster is that the Master is merely a demonstration of a willingness to buy a 'useless' product.

No, the answer is 'it depends' which goes for any certification in anything. The idea that is nothing more than a willingness to buy a useless product is obviously false unless you are referring to only the award itself, and not the journey that led to the award. I highly doubt the op was asking whether he should pay for the card after completing the requirements. Rather, he was asking about whether he should pursue the training that leads to the certification.

I agree that this is a "It Depends", but I'm just taking a different tact in how it is applied. We've seen the Master card defended from the perspective of the Dive Pro trying to assess a new/unknown diver, where the cards that diver presents helps the DM to formulate an opinion (risk assessment). My point is that the appropriately conservative approach is to use the Lowest Common Denominator, which means that the Pro can't really assume anything from a Master carder other than another customer with a Rescue card. That's the context and why I asked: "Okay, but how much more than Rescue? Not Much."

And to -hh, I just don't care for 7 mil wetsuits and 5' viz just to put another page in logbook. I can show you all the rusted out Vdubs you want to see without being 130' in the quarry. Might even find one that's drivable. Not hatin, just sayin

Oh, I very much understand. This is recreational diving, not commercial or law enforcement or military, so if it isn't providing some measure of 'fun', then it begs the question of why bother. And of course, what one considers 'fun' is also up to individual interpretation: some folks collect cards, whereas other folks will enjoy going out into that cold quarry with liftbags to play a game of "Hide the VW" with their other dive buddies and so forth.

I'm not really sure why some people are so emotional about the issue of MSD rating.

Here in 'PADI Asia-Pacific' land, the card has been free for the last few years. I see that as a nice 'thank you' gift from PADI.. and it defeats all the 'put another dollar in' arguments related to the qualification.

IMO, having it be free is a great idea for PADI-Asia...you're right it counters the "Put Another Dollar" cynicism. Of course it would be nicer still if it was worldwide.

What does the diver get out of it? Well, apart from any personal satisfaction they may get from the merit badge "status"...they get an extra certification card that proves they possess a minimum of experience (50 dives),
along with rescue diver training and several weeks worth of progressive training beyond OW level....Maybe some people take issue because of the name. If it were called "Loyal PADI Diver", or "Sports Diver".. or any other name without the word "Master" in it, then I think there wouldn't be so much mockery of it. To be honest, I don't think that many people who carry that card place much emphasis on the word "Master"... they know where they stand... and probably better and more realistically than the majority of divers who haven't been as contentious about their scuba education...

Yes, I do think that a strong element of the pushback comes from the "Grade Inflation" of Agency-based names for AOW & Master...to try to suggest some level of 'status' from a whopping 50 dives is a race to the bottom.

When I see scornful posts by minimally qualified divers, who are boastful about their experience alone, I can't help but think what bad habits and sloppy procedures might exist. There is a place for experience. There is also a place for self-learning and development. There is also a critical place for taught education. All three components are vital in ensuring effective progressive development.

Well said, but the problem is that PADI is the Big Dog Agency, and they've promoted a system based essentially only on the 'taught' part, since PADI doesn't offer products such as a Century (100 dives) card: the net result is that while diver development is a stool with three legs, the social value that is espoused prevents two of those legs from being recognized, leaving only the "taught education" one.

I shouldn't imagine the OP is still bothering to read this . . .

I think you've probably figured out that "Master Diver", in the PADI system, is shorthand for someone who has completed a certain collection of classes. It's like having a Bachelor's degree indicate that you have earned so many college credits, and completed the requirements of a major. Like a college degree, the value of a "Master Diver" rating depends a great deal on the value of the classes that make it up. Unlike a college degree, you have to pay extra to get the Master Diver card, even though you have completed, and paid for all the classes and cards that lead up to it. This is one of the sources of disdain of the card, that it extracts another $35 or so from the diver, just for the piece of plastic that forms the summary.

The other group that disdains the card, disdains the quality of the training that makes up the required classes. And there is room for criticism -- some classes are taught to the bare minimum, and aren't worth much. Some instructors pass anyone who pays the class fee, regardless of their level of accomplishment, or lack thereof. This is why the card itself isn't worth very much, because the people looking at it aren't sure if you took some good, solid classes with lots of content and solid standards, or whether your boat dive specialty consisted of surviving two dives off a boat (as mine did!).

It is never a bad thing to see out more training and more information. Even if it's pretty skimpy training, you will almost certainly take away a thing or two to apply to your own diving (and sometimes that might be what you DON'T want to do!). Whether it's worth paying for a specific summary card or not is entirely up to you. I think you have gathered that the card does not enjoy much widespread respect.

Since some people like College analogies, consider the following perspective employee job interview:

A) "So, do you have a Bachelor's Degree (in Field X)?"
B) "Yes, I graduated in 2002 with a 3.5 GPA"

A) "3.5? Very good! And do you also have your Master's Degree too?"
B) "No, don't have one".

A) "No? Tsk, tsk. So what have you been doing for the past ten years? Are you at least part way to your Masters Degree?"
B) "I've been very busy working fulltime at Company Y, applying my Bachelor's Degree (in Field X) on many projects."

A) "Oh, you've been working? That's too bad ... we don't care about relevant Work Experience. Goodbye!"

Now (and hyperbola aside), do we really think that such company would really remain in business for long in the real world? Of course not.

-hh

PS: what might be somewhat fun & entertaining is to have some brass/enamel pins (badges) made up that are for milestones - - similar idea to the Century / Millennium Cards, but is instead based on bottom time:

- A day's worth of BT (24 hrs)
- A week's worth (168 hours)
- A month (730 hours)
- A year...
etc

Last edited:
Since some people like College analogies, consider the following perspective employee job interview:

A) "So, do you have a Bachelor's Degree (in Field X)?"
B) "Yes, I graduated in 2002 with a 3.5 GPA"

A) "3.5? Very good! And do you also have your Master's Degree too?"
B) "No, don't have one".

A) "No? Tsk, tsk. So what have you been doing for the past ten years? Are you at least part way to your Masters Degree?"
B) "I've been very busy working fulltime at Company Y, applying my Bachelor's Degree (in Field X) on many projects."

A) "Oh, you've been working? That's too bad ... we don't care about relevant Work Experience. Goodbye!"

Now (and hyperbola aside), do we really think that such company would really remain in business for long in the real world? Of course not.

I've never heard of a company that didn't appreciate work experience

Probably more often than not, experience is more valued than a masters degree.

I don't know about 'practically useless'. I have one of those useless degrees-as do most people at my firm. It is not a requirement but it helps and your pay reflects it.
As to the master diver card-some people have great programs and others have crap programs-kinda like the OW card.

Salty, I was being ironic. Following the flawed logic of some of the posters around here, even a Ph.D. is useless and deserves mockery. It is technically NOT required for almost any job (except Assistant Professor), not even in the most prestigious research labs, it certainly does not prove anything (any idiot can get a Ph.D. from a no-name university nobody has ever heard of), and so on...

Master Diver does not imply that someone has "mastered" all secrets of diving, just like Master of Science does not imply that someone has "mastered" all of science, and a Ph.D. is obviously not someone who is qualified to perform surgery on philosophers. Getting all worked up about titles is just silly. It only shows that the person mocking the title has some deep insecurities larded with a thick layer of envy.

Dear experienced divers: if you are so upset about someone's Master Diver title, please do not torture your hurt pride any further, just go get it... you know you want it.

I've never heard of a company that didn't appreciate work experience

Probably more often than not, experience is more valued than a masters degree.

Bingo. In fact, in some industries too much eductation and not enough experience can kill your career. I've known music teachers who made the mistake of getting their masters prior to gaining tenure and they were out the door because the contract said they had to be paid more. They were lucky to get sub positions.

I've known people with PHD's and little experience or ability be very proud of their PHD and all I can think is "are you serious?".

And yet, I've seen people in this thread say things to the effect of "when I see someone with a master diver card I know they are squared away" or "when I see someone without the pedigree I wonder what horrible practices and procedures they follow."

Please...

It's an inexpensive card. If you are a dive pro, you won't have to do any training to get the card, just fill out an application and pay a filing fee. Then, if you are on a boat and have to show a C card, you flash the master diver card instead of Divemaster. The boat knows you have some skills but doesn't lean on you to take care of the less experienced folks. After all, you are on vacation- right?

I don't think that's accurate. I'm a Divemaster but I don't think I can get a Master Diver card because I don't officially have 5 specialty cards.

Bingo. In fact, in some industries too much eductation and not enough experience can kill your career. I've known music teachers who made the mistake of getting their masters prior to gaining tenure and they were out the door because the contract said they had to be paid more. They were lucky to get sub positions.

I've known people with PHD's and little experience or ability be very proud of their PHD and all I can think is "are you serious?".

And yet, I've seen people in this thread say things to the effect of "when I see someone with a master diver card I know they are squared away" or "when I see someone without the pedigree I wonder what horrible practices and procedures they follow."

Please...

I think though that a Master's degree and experience is probably better than experience alone, but then again, I'm trying to figure out how I got sucked into this discussion since I don't think it is a very good analogy for a Master Scuba Diver rating.

I think though that a Master's degree and experience is probably better than experience alone, but then again, I'm trying to figure out how I got sucked into this discussion since I don't think it is a very good analogy for a Master Scuba Diver rating.

I'm pretty baffled by the attention the argument is getting myself. There are a number of jobs that require a master's degree and many that don't. There are jobs that require all different kinds of certifications. Education is very good in many cases. Experience is also good. Why are we insisting that it has to be one or the other?

Master Scuba Diver Rating Courses - Advanced Open Water Diving - PADI Scuba Dive Training Organization

Master Scuba Diver, what does bring to a table? Any specific knowledge? Any standing in a dive community? What are pros and cons? Seems like a Dive Master is a better choice if one chooses to move past a rescue diver...

Texas Guy,

I took the Master Diver Challenge when I was in Thailand while my brother did his OW referral and AOW. They had five PADI specialties that I wanted to learn, NITROX, National Geographic, Wreck, Deep and Navigation. I choose these specialites not for the Master Diver Certificate, but they were gateways into areas that I wanted to learn more about. THe NITROX I have use often, as well as the wreck and deep diving. The navigation, not so much just yet, but will in some of my future training I am planning on taking. The Nat'l Geo was just plain fun...yes diving can be fun. Card yes, card no, that is a personal choice...as is most of life is. As far as PROs or CONs, again it is a personal choice. For me personally I am into learning new things.

~Michael~

It is interesting how much the idea of a MSD card bothers some people. As someone else posted long ago I think it's because of the name "Master" and we all know 5 specialties and under 50 dives doesn't make a Master of anyone. But other than that if someone wants to get continuing education and wants a card to signify how much they have what's the big deal.

I regularly dive with about 6 or so buddies. Other than the 2 that I know are DMs I have no idea what certs the others have and don't really care to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom