Do you use long hose set-up with Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see why not. Just be sure to practice with whatever setup you have.

That said, if your primary still has the original hose on it, please at least change it to an octo length hose. An air share with a short primary hose is not the most fun.

Although DIR proponents advocate using a long hose, they are by no means the only ones who do so.

If you have decided to use a longer hose with your Air II in a recreational rig, then I suggest to 5 feet (or even 7). Ironically, that will make it less likely to get snagged on things while diving. THe hose routes under the arm, up the chest, and over the neck, thus making the setup close to the body and out of the way.

You can apply some of the DIR principles very neatly with a BC and an Air2, although the ensuing setup will not be compatible with either GUE or UTD equipment requirements.

The basic principles is to donate the regulator you are breathing, and you do this because you know it is working properly (and for technical divers, because you know it supplies a gas that is safe to breathe at the depth where you are). Anyone who is using an Air2 for a backup is following this principle, which is great. But if you practice with your setup, you will quickly realize that sharing gas on a 24" primary hose is quite uncomfortable and not very secure -- if either of you has any instability problems on ascent, it will be awfully easy to pull that reg right out of the OOA diver's mouth. That's why "octo" hoses are 36" or 40" long, and your primary hose should be at least that.

The problem is that, when you go to a 36 or 40 inch hose on your primary, you're either stuck with a huge loop sticking out to your side, or if you try to run the hose under your arm, you'll find the regulator won't sit well in your mouth. This can be fixed by adding a 90 degree hose adapter, which makes everything a bit more complicated (and adds an o-ring, which can fail or leak), or by using an even LONGER hose, that you can wrap around your body. A 5' or 7' hose, because it comes around the back of your neck, sits quite nicely in the mouth. I like 5' hoses better for people who are using traditional BCs, because there is no really good way to secure a 7' hose except to tuck the excess in your waistband, and depending on the BC, it may be hard to keep it there. 5' hoses can be a bit short for people with broad torsos.

So yes, I would say there IS a reason for using a wrapped hose, which is that, in addition to giving you even more flexibility and comfort while sharing gas, it is also better streamlined and neater.

I agree with the aboves. I don't see anything reason why you can't use long hose with Air2. As TSandM said, transition BC may not give you an easy way to hold down the long hose if it is too long, so consider something like 5ft. But exact length will be personal dependent.

However, if you are willing to adapt the long hose concept, why not, as well, ditch the Air2 and use standard 2nd stage on bungee with 22" hose. If you inflator is only a inflator, the corrogated hose can be much shorter. Overall more streamline even with one more hose (22" only).

I am going to look into this. The other thing I am not too comfortable with yet is clipping the spg to the hip. SInce I am new to this I like to keep a close eye on the SPG to monitor my consumption rates. I keep my console clipped to my chest or on a loop around my thumb so I can see it easily. I have a broad torso so I had it put on a little longer hose so it's easy for me to keep an eye on. Fortunately my console computer can be converted to wrist mount. So once I am more comfortable I move the computer to my wrist and clip the spg to the hip I guess.

I clip my SPG off on my chest D ring and some hundreds of recreational dives later, most of them solo with a stage of some sort, still haven't found a compelling reason not to.
Personally, I could see an Air2/longhose with the SPG routed down the inflator being a very streamlined rig.

Yes you can do so, yes it works fine. Rather than a swivel I'd recommend a slightly longer hose, between 48 and 60 inches, depending on your size. I used a similar system for years:
DSCN1000.JPG
[/url]

Back
Top Bottom