wheres best place to go for december?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitro91

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to go to thailand with some friends for a diving trip around mid december. I read that koh tao is no good at december so i guess that is out.
We are all certified advanced and just looking for fun diving, no courses or anything. (maybe nitrox)

I read pattaya is good around december though.
but i don't know what kind of diving pattaya is, i'm not a fan of walls as well.

thoughts?

Without question South Thailand, Andaman (west) coast.
Pattaya has year round diving but can never be described as 'good'. It simply is not a serious dive destination.
The Gulf of Thailand (east) side during December, the Koh Chang group of islands are worth consideration, but if the main basis of your trip is to dive then I could not make a strong recommendation. The quality of diving whilst better than Pattaya, is still no where near the standards of the Andaman Sea.

ok ill be looking into phuket then.

whats the best place to stay?
we probably want to do about 10+ dives

is sea bees diving/palm garden resort good?

max price a night would probably be $100usd

You are wanting to do only daytrips? Is this because you want to take advantage of the nightlife possibilities? The Palm Garden resort is cute, but it's not near much nightlife. However, if the focus of your trip is diving, then I'd really recommend a liveaboard trip to the Similans/Richelieu area for a four-night trip with 14 dives. If you really only want 10 dives, then there are ways to do just a three-day trip. These trips usually leave out of Khao Lak and not Phuket, but transfers are often included in the cost of the trip anyway, so you can stay on Phuket before and/or after your liveaboard for the nightlife.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's hard to give advice without a bit more information!

Yeh the plan is to do a few dives in the day then do other stuff afterwards, rather than being on the boat for a few days.

In that case, you may find the Palm Garden place rather isolated for convenience. You'd probably be better off staying in one of the main tourist towns, of which Patong is the busiest.

In that case, you may find the Palm Garden place rather isolated for convenience. You'd probably be better off staying in one of the main tourist towns, of which Patong is the busiest.

Have to agree. I stayed in the Palm Garden and there is not that much around in walking distance, apart from a few places to eat. I did like it there though. We only went out for dinner after the dives and then just relaxed in the bungalow or at the pool, and on our off-days (we didn't dive every day) we rented scooters to get around the island and do some sight-seeing.

But if you want to go out at night after the dives you'd probably want to stay somewhere else.

If you want to dive with SeaBees, and you want to stay in Patong, it's not a problem. The area where Baan Boa is located is the part of Patong I'd stay at if I ever wanted to stay in Patong. It's a bit away from the masses of traffic, hawkers, bars, hookers, massage parlours, sex shows, ladyboys, shopping malls, fight stadiums, etc., so it's a bit more pleasant, and yet near enough to walk to all of that for your evening's entertainment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom