Anybody used carbon fins from Dive System?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaaralex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

in a diveshop i found a pair of these Italian fins made from carbon fiber. The fact that they weigh mere 300+ grams really grabbed my attention - my jet fins weigh more than 10 times more ... and the blades even felt quite rigid when being bent - i tried to compare them against some usual rec fins available in the shop, and my initial impression was that while they were less rigid than jet fins, they were more rigid than average rec fins. Of course i did not have chance to test them in water, so that's what it was - the initial impression. :)

I tried to search both on net and on the SB forums, but unfortunately "Dive System" is so generic term that if there is some post about these fins here, i did not find it among thousands of results.

I m interested in experiences of somebody who has actually been using these for some time (I'd really prefer actual user experience to opinions about carbon fiber, thanks.) The fins being so light will also have some impact on the trim, so that is another thing i would like to learn little bit more about. As far as i know, one reason ppl love jetfins apart their powerful kick is also better distribution of weight along body axis .. i got feeling that maybe some ankle weights would be necessary with these light ones? Another thing is durability: sometimes u do have to make a few steps wearing fins, in full gear, which will put strain on both the blades as well as the strapping which attaches the fin to the boots.

really looking fwd to your replies! :)

dive system_carbon fins 2011-11-06 15.29.50.jpg

Kaaralex, I am the USA distributor of Dive System and these fins work amazing. Dive System is a major manufacture for most of the Italian military and is one of Europe's best known tech diving products. We have a couple sets for sale of these fins and there is nothing else like them when you are moving underwater. I have not used them in warm water, only here is Seattle where I am diving in full dry suit. So with less to wear I am sure you can move super fast.

Is there any website wew dan check out the dive system gear and information ? I'm now in Europe and own a dive system W&P system that I love, but I never found any information on their gear... I bought this second hand, but these fins seems to be interesting to try - nice for travelling light !

Yes you can check out DiveSystem Sito Ufficiale

Is there any website wew dan check out the dive system gear and information ? I'm now in Europe and own a dive system W&P system that I love, but I never found any information on their gear... I bought this second hand, but these fins seems to be interesting to try - nice for travelling light !

I have carbon fiber longfins. They work sweet but I'm constantly worried that they'll shatter if anything like a weightbelt was to accidentally be dropped on them.

Hi FoxDavis, thx for the reply. I still have one last question. Especially during shore dives, it is often not possible to take fins off first and then start walking just in the shoes, therefor some heavy duty walks over rocks in fins through surf are inevitable. I am usually concerned with getting my camera - and then myself, precisely in this order :) through safely, and so my fins often get quite beaten as i walk or jump in them in or out of water, sometimes fighting quite big waves. I am not sure what happens with the spot where the attaching system is bolted to the carbon part? Thanks for the answer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom