Florida dive question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40 fathoms is good however closed for 90 days after the storm that went through. Ginnie springs is beautiful and definately worth the drive and you can camp there near the water!

also shore diving available from Wabasso to Pepper Park, Fort Pierce

Thanks. I would love to drive down to Jupiter but not sure I can convince my sister to watch the baby for that long. We might just end up diving the wrecks out in daytona. QUOTE=real1628;6418035]Hi, I'm a PADI Divemaster living in New Smyrna Beach. Here are your options:
1. Sea Dogs Dive Center in New Smyrna Beach runs trips offshore Daytona Beach. It's about 10 miles out to the wrecks but there are several. Somebody already mentioned the Mindanao, there is also a Tug out there called the Thomas H, and the freighters Antilles Star and Rio Yuna. Weather, viz, and water temp can change quickly off Daytona so stay in touch with the shop and pay attention to it. The Jupiter suggestions are also good or just go down to Riviera Beach. It's a straight shot down I-95 so the 3 hour drive isn't that bad. There is plenty of diving down there. If you are OK with spring dives Blue Spring in Orange City only about 30 minutes west of Daytona is good. It's a State Park so you have to get there when they open if you want to get in. It's cheap, pretty, and you might even see a manatee. About an hour west of Daytona is one of my favorites, Paradise Spring. It's actually sort of a cavern dive but there is a line and openwater divers are welcome. About 2 1/2 hours west of Daytona are 40 Fathom Grotto, Blue Grotto, and Devil's Den. Just look all these up on the internet. They are all cool and each has something different. 40 Fathom is a tech training facility so it's a little pricey and you have to have a guide to dive there. About 2 1/2 to 3 hours north is "Cave Country." Ginnie Springs there is openwater friendly and there are a few others there. It's worth experiencing the springs of Florida and you have a lot of options around North Florida. Good Luck! Have Fun! and Happy Diving![/QUOTE]

Hi SandyK -

We just got back from Key Largo today. We stayed at the Key West Inn (formerly Suites at Key Largo), which was not pristine but very comfortable. The location was good. There are also several other properties (Marriott, Holiday Inn, Marina del Mar) located strategically around the marina at Key Largo. We dove with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, which is an operation I highly recommend. Their boats are good and they are very safety conscious and knowledgeable about the dive sites. They provide guides on each dive, but you can elect to dive without the guide if that is your preference. Great folks to dive with!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom