Squid at Breakwater Sunday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jak Crow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We were coming back from a boat dive yesterday when we encountered a pod of risso's dolphins just outside of Breakwater. They were corralling the squid that were laying eggs at Breakwater. There were a couple large adults that kept breaching behind the boat. Very cool. I decided to do a dive at Breakwater to find the squid, which I did. Eggs everywhere, dead squid everywhere, live squid not looking so good, females coming into the cluster to lay eggs, dozens on the fringes mating and hangout around. It was all very impressive. And on my way back I came across a single strand of kelp covered in hooded nudibranchs with hoods the size of my hand. This dive made up for the lousy conditions for the boat dives.
WOLF1755.jpgWOLF1753.jpgWOLF1660.jpgWOLF1822.jpgWOLF1814.jpgWOLF1796.jpgWOLF1794.jpg

Last edited:
Way cool! which part of BreakWater did you see all the squid? was it a night dive? We dove breakwater yesterday. One to the pipe and the second across middle reef...only a couple of our divers reported seeing squid during the dives,,,but we were near the bottom looking at the rocks and those that did see squid reported them in the kelp...

This was during the day. I started from the wall side and headed out at about 45-65 degrees from the beach. I found them at a depth of about 50ft, and before the metridiums. I assume given the activity of the animals on the surface, and the amount of eggs, I found the many cluster. Now it's a matter waiting for them to hatch, which will make for another impressive sight I think. They should start hatching the middle of next month.

I was there (breakwater) today and saw them as well. bout 40ft. just off the wall out in the sand. Lots of octopus having a feast on the dead and dying. Several Lings too, fat and happy. Had some great encounters with some sea lions a bit further up the wall. Vis was 15, maybe 20 in some spots. Fun dive. Thanks Jim and Sean!
Hope you all get a chance to check it out!

We were coming back from a boat dive yesterday when we encountered a pod of risso's dolphins just outside of Breakwater. They were corralling the squid that were laying eggs at Breakwater. There were a couple large adults that kept breaching behind the boat. Very cool. I decided to do a dive at Breakwater to find the squid, which I did. Eggs everywhere, dead squid everywhere, live squid not looking so good, females coming into the cluster to lay eggs, dozens on the fringes mating and hangout around. It was all very impressive. And on my way back I came across a single strand of kelp covered in hooded nudibranchs with hoods the size of my hand. This dive made up for the lousy conditions for the boat dives.
View attachment 130432View attachment 130433View attachment 130434View attachment 130435View attachment 130436View attachment 130437View attachment 130438
Nice macro, but where are the Dolphin pics ? :)

Back
Top Bottom