Suunto D4 battery replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouperman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Are there any Suunto D4 users out there with experience in replacing the battery themselves? I realize that Suunto recommends sending it to a service center but this takes time and apparently can cost between $55 and $160! I was also informed that the replacement involves just removing the two screws on the back case, replacing the battery and o-ring and replacing the cover and screws. Is it that simple?

If anyone out there can shed some light on this issue, your thoughts will be much appreciated!

Grouperman

I have the same question. My battery is low and I leave on a dive trip in a month. Even if I send it in to an authorized Suunto repair shop there is very slim chance for me to receive this on time for my trip. I live in Guam and mail is extra slow. I see there is a battery replacement kit on Ebay for 10 bucks.

Battery Kit For Suunto D4 Dive Computer, NEW! - eBay (item 350430631509 end time Feb-10-11 22:11:58 PST)

Anyone have experience replacing the battery on Suunto D4? I would really appreciate any info.

I see there is a battery replacement kit on for 10 bucks.
Thanks for the link! I ordered the battery kit and will let you know how it goes. It looks pretty simple. Just unscrew the two screws, replace the battery and O-ring and tighten it back up.

Replacing the battery is not the issue. Almost anybody with the proper knowledge could do that.

The issue, which seems to be rarely shared, is the other seals.

All the push buttons, and the crystal have a seal. For the warranty to remain in effect, the watch must be Serviced every two years and all seals replaced. Those seals will fail and are not long lived. :crying:

Fail to have it serviced, and Aqualung and Suunto will refuse any assistance once a leak appears, regardless of the location.

Fail to have it serviced, and Aqualung and Suunto will refuse any assistance once a leak appears, regardless of the location.[/QUOTE]

Here's a thought, if you take it to a Authorized Suunto Dealer and they change the battery and it leaks, they have then assumed the liability to get it fixed, or at least they should. That is if the item was properly purchased (authorized reseller).
FWIW

Fail to have it serviced, and Aqualung and Suunto will refuse any assistance once a leak appears, regardless of the location.

Here's a thought, if you take it to a Authorized Suunto Dealer and they change the battery and it leaks, they have then assumed the liability to get it fixed, or at least they should. That is if the item was properly purchased (authorized reseller).
FWIW

Having it serviced is not the same as being prepared if the battery fails. And batteries fail at the most inapproprate times. I like to be prepared and takea spare battery with me on a dive trip just in case. Being prepared is why I use 2 dive computers, a cobra 3 and a D4. So have all your gear services regularly, then plan for the unexpected.

Hello everybody,

See this link : Pesca Submarina - Caça Submarina - Projecto Caça Submarina - Change Battery on Suunto D4 by Pedro Silva / Substituir Pilha no Suunto D4 por Pedro Silva [Fórum - Bricolage] -

NOTE: This information has no affiliation with the Suunto is just something I did to my Suunto D4 for the community Project Spearfishing Portugal.

Attention:

It is not my responsibility if something goes wrong. Being poorly done your dive computer can flood up and not my fault if you're not comfortable with it, it is best to let a certified technician.

Update anyone ? I have mine apart and ready for new battery , just wondering if any other do it yourself'rs have had success or forbid , flooding failure after battery replacement ... thanks

Here's an update, and some comments on what I did. I have made reference to this on the D4 strap replacement thread elsewhere in these forums.

First, I read BlueMarlin01's directions on the replacement (via the link given above in Post #8). Make sure to work on a lint and dust-free surface. I used a clean countertop. Here are the steps that I took:

1. As BlueMarlin01 says, gently unscrew the two screws (simple enough);

2. Pry open the back cover using a small screwdriver against the "ears" where the screws attach. (again, mine came off easily);

3. With the cover off, I removed the 'O' ring verrrrry gently. Do not use anything sharp to do this, it comes off easy using your fingernail.

4. If you are re-using the 'O' ring (I did), wash it with soap and water, dry and set aside. Some kits come with new 'O' ring, battery & lube.

5. Clean both edges (back cover & watch body) of salt/crud deposits. I used a toothpick and a 'Q' Tip as I did not want to scratch the 'mating' surface.

6. Replace the battery as you removed it. I used (& recommend) the Energizer 2450. See the pic in BlueMarlin01's link.

7. Lubricate the 'O' ring and the edge of the back cover. I used 'Christo-Lube MCG111', which is designed for dive gear and available at www.orings-online.com.

8. Replace the 'O' ring on the back cover and then gently position the back cover on the main watch body.

9 Now, MAKING SURE THEY ARE CORRECTLY POSITIONED, you will need to put some pressure on the back cover with your thumb to join the two parts. When the two surfaces are snug, insert & tighten the two screws, maintaining pressure on the back cover. (The cover tends to slide out because of the lube). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN the screws!

The entire procedure took me about 20 minutes and cost me about $11 (battery & lube). I have done about 100 dives in freedive mode, down to 66', and about six dives in SCUBA mode, down to 117' and the watch runs like, well, a watch! Wait a minute, it IS a watch, hehehe

Keep in mind, SUUNTO does NOT recommend 'user replacement' of the D4 battery. While the above procedure worked for me, and appears simple enough, it may not be for everybody. I do a lot of freediving, and the 'dealer replaced' battery lasted only 12 months. The prospect of laying out a hundred bucks every 12 months somehow didn't seem very appealing.

Your experience may differ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom