Which Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN.ger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

For my first BC I'm getting a BP/W. However, I need help choosing a wing. I'm primarily looking at the Oxycheq Mach V, and the OMS non-retraction band singles wing. I also have ne idea how much lift capacity I need (I'm 5'10", slim build, 7mil wetsuit, mostly cold New England diving). I'm leaning towards the Mach V right now. So, which wing do you think I should get and why?

Also, for single tank diving, must I use an STA, or will cam bands alone suffice?

Wings - Single Tank : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment
OMS Buoyancy Control Systems - Buoyancy Compensator ( BC's ) http://www.OMSdive.com

Thanks!
-Dan.ger

Last edited:
I have the Oxycheq 18 for the tropics--I use an STA--never tried with just the bands. Have a halcyon eclipse 40 for the cold stuff. Have a diverite doubles wing.

I really really like the 18lb wing when you are in warm water. But you have a 7mm, so I assume it is cold there.

OxyCheq 18 lb Travel Wing discounts on sale OxyCheq

You're going to need to figure out your overall ballast needs.

Tobin at Deep Sea Supply is the master at that. As a bonus, he makes some of the best backplates, wings and other dive gear out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 7mm wet suit implies cold water diving.

In that regard you need enough weight to get neutral with the suit at the surface with near empty tank, and you need enough lift to be able to be neutral at depth (say 100-130') with the wet suit compressed and the tank still pretty full. Generally speaking, an 18 pound wing will be hard pressed to achieve that with an AL 80, and with a steel tank it just is not going to be adequate.

Also, many lift calculators out there fail to consider that a human head weighs about 15 pounds and it is nice to be able to float with your head above water at the start of the dive without having to kick. So you need a wing that will lift 15 pounds of head above water at the start of the dive. Even if you are not over weighted an 18 pound wing comes up short when you have a tank that is 5 pounds negative already.

Consequently, I'd consider a 30 pound wing to be the minimum for cold water diving.

Most travel plates are not all that stable with just the cam bands. You'll be a lot more comfortable and have a better feel and control with an STA. Just be aware some STA are going to add another 2 pounds of negative buoyancy. On the plus side that can offset the weight you'll need anyway in cold water, and for travel you can leave it home.

I use the HOG 32lbs wing with the STA. I tried it without the STA for a few dives but it is nice to have when swapping out tanks or if you use your plate for doubles and singles.

For me the HOG 32# works extremely well without an STA. I do however use sex bolts to keep it in place. -> Backplate Assembly Screws and Nuts - Dive Gear Express
Just another option, and cheaper :)

Now as for working out the exact lift, there's a decent calculator here on SB -> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html

Or use a rule of thumb. Take the buoyancy of your wetsuit, the weight of your gas, add 5 lbs and there you go. To work out the buoyancy of your suit, you need to take it to some water and try to sink it with some weights basically.
There's a rule of thumb about weighing your suit to work out it's buoyancy, but I can't remember if it's double or triple it's weight, someone here might be able to answer that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom