What actions do you take when you can't see and need help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used a bolt snap a number of times to tap the tank when that was what was handy! (I've seen people carry a little spoon in their pocket, too. The point is merely to reach around and tap the tank with something to make noise. There are those elastic tank bangers that you strap onto the tank, too, but people forget to get them off the tank and end up not having them for the subsequent dive....

I agree. I've taken to clipping an extra bolt snap to one of the small front D-rings on my BCD, and just leaving it on there. Once every few dives, I've used it to get someone's attention. It only costs a couple of dollars, and it's super easy to find by touch, unclip, use, and reclip.

And yes, the round tank bangers on a rubber bungee are good at getting left behind on tanks and nothing else. It's too hard to find/reach the darned things.

I love how alert and responsive your buddies were!

Hey WoodnDive, cgood job on keeping your wit's about you. It is a good feeling to have something happen and handle it without panicking isn't it? You and your buddy sound like a great team. Keep diving, stay safe and have fun!!!

PS: Anti fog does sting...mine experience wasn't as bad as yours thank God but it did sting for a bit.
:cheers:

I stopped using anti-fog and I'd recommend doing the same. I currently use either Baby shampoo which is easy on the eyes or spit if I forgot to defog and rinse prior. You can sometimes still get a mild irritation from baby shampoo and once I took the mask off and rinsed it while I was under, replaced and cleared it with a mild stinging. Spit doesn't have this issue.

Not sure why you don't use a tank banger. I personally think they are useful and cost effective safety devices. Also if you dive with a knife you can usually use it to bang on the tank.

I have also switched to using baby shampoo. No more tears!

That is the best solution I found so far. I only once had a problem - I didn't wash out the nose compartment completely - while trying to equalize the pressure I suddenly had bubbles forming inside the mask😄

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement!

Hey Ron,
I use a product called Sea Gold for the defog. No issues with salt water as I can open my eyes in it without issue. I do have a bolt snap on my my light too. I will keep that in mind. Thank you.

---------- Post Merged at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Is it a small light you carry?

Bill
Hawkwood,
Yep, its a small light. Princeton Tec. Yes I keep it on bolt snap. I see now I can use it as a dive light and tank banger! Thanks.

"check your time, check your air, check your buddy, check your depth. "TAB'D". Do it frequently, the more frequently the deeper you go.

Bill
You got it! Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:39 PM ----------

OzGriffo,
I have not pin pointed the exact reason as yet for the flooding issue. As I thought about it more, I may have had an oily skin day and it could have created a poor seal. The eye burning had to have been the anti-fog. I have picked up another mask that has the same design profile as I am able to swap lenses without issue. I am going to take both out on my next dive and give them both a try. Thank you.

The only problem with tank bangers is when everyone in your group seems to be using them. Still if you hear it you look for your buddy just to confirm he/she isn't the one in trouble. I have a light useable for a banger and I got adive alert which has settings for underwater and surface use. I leave mine set for underwater and it makes a quaking sound, fairly unique and quite loud so it is only for emergency use. I got it after reading about folks needing to signal the boat and not getting noticed. When you flip the switch to surface it is so loud it will injure your ears so put your head underwater for safety. I feel much more secure with it when I'm at a more obscure location and I'm not familiar with the dive op.

WoodnDive,
It seems you have the best safety device already in place--a buddy that is paying attention and able to respond. There really is no substitute for that. Make sure your accessory of a working competent buddy is with you on every dive and that you are the same kind of buddy. You clearly seen now how having a buddy in place turned an event into a minor happening. Not having the kind of buddy you have could have turned this into a major event. Keep practicing those basic skills. You never know when you will need them and if you skills are sharp, you should fair well.

WoodnDive,
It seems you have the best safety device already in place--a buddy that is paying attention and able to respond. There really is no substitute for that.

The problem with this logic is that you're assuming the buddy will be 100% reliable, 100% of the time. At the end of the day s/he is also human and can have a "bad day." Carrying noise makers is always a useful practice whether or not you think others might abuse their use. I like the dive alert devices my only issue is they rely on a supply of air from the tank to the low pressure hose justifying why it is still good practice to carry a good old fashion storm whistle as a backup. Tank bangers are very low cost and are always on the tank. No need to risk damaging a light or even un-sheathing a knife or unclipping a bolt when you can reach back just as you would to dump air from your BC to use your tank banger.

I'm new to diving but I've spent enough time in the water to know that no one device is ideal in every circumstance and its usually better to carry more than one each with different dependencies. Relying on a buddy to notice you're in trouble seems to me to be asking for trouble. Rely on yourself first to be able to signal for help if required noting that humans make mistakes including the best trained buddies. Realize how easily this situation could have gone from bad to worst since the OP had no noise maker and tank bangers cost $5. Like a regulator its another piece of safety gear.

The problem with this logic is that you're assuming the buddy will be 100% reliable, 100% of the time. At the end of the day s/he is also human and can have a "bad day." Carrying noise makers is always a useful practice whether or not you think others might abuse their use.

If you have an unreliable buddy that is not paying attention, a noise maker won't change things much at all for you--especially if you have a medical episode and are not able to make noise. If you read the accident section of this forum, you will find that most often when people die while diving, their buddy did not have a clue about where they were. There is no substitute for a good buddy that pays attention to you and is close enough to respond to you in the event of an emergency and for you to do the same for you buddy.

Diving in a 3-some takes extra care compared to a simple buddy team where you just need to be aware of your buddy. Often, we designate one person as the leader, they are a bit out front and responsible to navigation. The other 2 relieved of that duty (to some degree anyway) keep and eye on each other and the leader so they can react quickly. Without some organization, it can be in invitation to a mess.

If you have a dive knife, you have a tank banger. I love lights also and this is primary justification for always having a bright light even when the dive environments does not need it.

In the end though, being able to handle your own emergency is always best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom