Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 129930

Reckon that's part of a pipefish next to the dragonet?

Kevin

The extremely rare headless pipefish otherwise known as the really, really, really short nose pipefish......
:D:D:D that looks sizewise like the hot yellow one we saw in the paddle grass.

Anemone looking thing

IMG_6409wa.jpg

Decided on a recent dive to just take a shot of anything and everything that was orange in color that I came across. Yielded a few interesting things - and lots of bland, spongy stuff. Think I'll keep it up - with anything small and colorful.

Kevin

---------- Post Merged at 06:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:24 PM ----------

IMG_6478wa.jpgIMG_6479wa.jpgIMG_6490wa.jpg

Pretty sure I've seen pics of this critter before on a bridge thread. Seems like it was called a juvenile jack of some kind. Can't find a pic like it, though.

Kevin

---------- Post Merged at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:24 PM ----------

Decided on a recent dive to just take a shot of anything and everything that was orange in color that I came across. Yielded a few interesting things - and lots of bland, spongy stuff. Think I'll keep it up - with anything small and colorful.

IMG_6547wa sea spider.jpg

This one seems to have yielded a sea spider - or some purple and white trash.

Kevin

---------- Post Merged at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:24 PM ----------

IMG_6533wa.jpg

This orange(ish) is attached to other parts.

Kevin

Appologies in advance. I know this has been covered, likely multiple times. What location is everyone using to reference tides for the BHB? Thanks in advance.

Dan-
Thanks for the good information.
I was looking at it on google earth and I did not see any parking (legally) or a clear entry point.
If I get that selfless friend I think he can drive my boat and after an hour he can follow us back down the jetty to the bridge.....
The point looked more interesting than the way in though.:D
John

Jenny-
Damm, missed your post. That really sucks. How bad did it flood? Is the camera savable?

pumphouse4.jpgSee Parking at Ocean Mall by Pura Vida Dive shop.

pumphouse3.jpgWhere you get in...on the beach side, sheltered by the pumphouse. As I said, many people would never need to go further than just the tip of the point of rocks you see here...depth at the point is about 8 to 12 feet. If you make the turn and head in to the inlet on the jetty dive, depth goes to about 22 feet right after you turn.
As I said, the area along the jetty is advanced diving for divers comfortable in currents. The area protected by the pumphouse, on the beach side, is much easier for anyone, even those that don't like any current at all.

Because of the parking issue..and getting dropped off, this dive site lends itself more to groups of 4 or 6 or 10 divers....enough to make the transport issue a non-issue. And, the Bike Taxi guy from Turtletown Transport Co is actively trying to get his bikes on the island now.....

Thats the view I had scoped out...Looks like it would be cool if you arrange logistics.
With two heavy DSLR rigs and steel tanks the "bike taxi" might be charging by the pound.....
Still the boat sounds like a better way to go and if it's too rough the bridge is close.
Good info, thanks.
John

Thats the view I had scoped out...Looks like it would be cool if you arrange logistics.
With two heavy DSLR rigs and steel tanks the "bike taxi" might be charging by the pound.....
Still the boat sounds like a better way to go and if it's too rough the bridge is close.
Good info, thanks.
John
The bike taxi guy claims he can carry two divers with gear....I find it hard to imagine the camera rigs will fit perfectly....however, with the bike taxi, you could leave your buddy with the gear at the end of the road, and drive back to the parking lot--then take the bike taxi....

Boat is better still, but not everyone has one :)....And I am trying to create another good "shore dive"...The more divers with an interest, the easier this gets to optimize.
When I had my boat...the problem here was that anchoring is not safe anywhere near where you would want to, and this means someone has to stay on the boat like a drift dive charter boat captain....

The bike taxi guy claims he can carry two divers with gear....I find it hard to imagine the camera rigs will fit perfectly....however, with the bike taxi, you could leave your buddy with the gear at the end of the road, and drive back to the parking lot--then take the bike taxi....

Sounds like that selfless, non diving, boat driving friend is looking pretty good....

Here are a few pic's from last weekend though we have only had time to look thru a small percent.
Saw the largest variety of pipefish in one dive to date and found my old friend again, the giant purple mantis who had apparently moved to a better neighborhood....
John
will post more when we have time

Attachments

• BHB-201207076895.jpg
    BHB-201207076895.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 64
  • BHB-201207076923.jpg
    BHB-201207076923.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 68
  • BHB-201207076941.jpg
    BHB-201207076941.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 65