Max Depth of Fisheye UWL domes... (in reality)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK, so the rated max depth of the Fisheye FIX UWL-28M52, like the UWL-04, etc, is 60m...

BUT

What might the max depth be in practice?

Housings quite happily go way deeper than their max rated depths, with the first sign of 'problems' being a button staying in after pushing it, as their springs aren't strong enough to push them back out again (Hence the stiffer spring kit for a 100m rated Fisheye G12 housing)... So it's a harmless failure of function only (apart from a hundred continuous photos perhaps!)... They don't implode or similar until probably much, much deeper... Perhaps o-rings might leak if the housing starts distorting...
But, a dome port like the Fisheye UWL ones is different... They're a trapped volume of glass between the back elements and the dome... So the first sign of failure is probably not going to be harmless like a stuck in button...

Anyone have any experience of taking ports deeper? Or killing them in this way?

Last edited:
When I had one, UWL-04, 135', no problem. Great lens too ! Shooting with DSLR now, Aquatica dome port. No issues there, as well.

I've had the UWL-04 down to 160' without any trouble.
That's only 49m

When I had one, UWL-04, 135', no problem. Great lens too ! Shooting with DSLR now, Aquatica dome port. No issues there, as well.
And that's just 41m

I've managed to take it down to 56m (184ft), to the Stubborn, and it's was all good.

But i was wondering about taking it deeper than its rated 60m (197ft)

I think it is may be a bit pointless to take a camera that deep, unless you have a specific wreck you want to photograph. I find it a bit hard to concentrate on photography on deep dives due to the nitrogen narcosis. Plus, limited bottom time. For photography, much better to stay shallow!

I think it is may be a bit pointless to take a camera that deep, unless you have a specific wreck you want to photograph. I find it a bit hard to concentrate on photography on deep dives due to the nitrogen narcosis. Plus, limited bottom time. For photography, much better to stay shallow!
We're talking 60+ meters You're not likely to be on air...
It's not pointless when you book a trip to Malta to do all the awesome deep wrecks on trimix... and for the spaghetti rabbit sauce too :D

Back
Top Bottom