Nautilus Explorer Captain's Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautilus Explorer

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Captains Al’s Noon Report. Socorro, Mexico. June 4th, 2012.

Well one good dive can sure change the mood, but that's what they come here for. First dive at the Canyon, San Benedicto Island. No giant mantas, anticipation, no joy. Second dive anticipation and Mantas everywhere, jumped in with one of the guests who was having problems and saw five mantas at the same time hovering around the cleaning station and circling the divers, great dive, wi. Vis today here was easy 100'/30 metres water temp at depth 73 as warm as 76 at the surface. Really chilly for this time of year. We have WNW wind 10-15 with 2'wind chop on a 3-5' westerly swell.

All else is good.

Captain Al

Had an easy overnight transit from Socorro last night, arrived Roca Partida 0700 this morning. Seas a little bigger than I was expecting, around 5-8' at 12 sec from the WNW with 5-10 kts from the NW this morning.

Just finished second dive of the day. Lots and lots of sharks, big school of silky/Galagapos/silver-tips all kinda mixed together. Maybe a hundred sharks.
I could actually see them schooling from the surface on the zodiac for most of the time. Also had a giant manta around on dive 2 for most of the divers. Lots of action here right now.

Had a chopper from a tuna boat buzz overhead but haven't seen the boat around yet.

Sky is clear and all fine onboard.

Thanks,
Captain Gordon

Captains Report. Socorro Island, Mexico. June 15, 2012

Just finished second dive of the day at Roca Partida. Diving continues to be outstanding. Loads of silky sharks, big tuna and other fish/sharks. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it so good. Guests are loving it.

Wx today similar to yesterday, around 10-12 kts from the north and long ocean swell from the NW, partly cloudy today.
Still planning on one more dive day here tomorrow before heading to Socorro Island to check in at the navy base.

Nautilus Captains Log

Captain Gordon’s Noon Report. Socorro Island, Mexico. June 19, 2012.

Our third and final day at Roca Partida. Wind is up a bit more, 12 gusting 15 at times from the north so a little more chop from that. Still around 5-8’ long swell from the NW but a little shorter from the wind. Sky overcast today.

Finished two dives so far, diving is still awesome. Teeming with sharks down there. Loads of big yellow fin tuna all over the place. Really really good diving. Planning on departing tonight around 2200 for overnight run to Socorro.
Everything OK onboard.
Thanks,

Captain Gordon

Nautilus Captains Log, Captain Gordon's Noon Report. Socorro Island, Mexico. June 19, 2012.

Had a nice overnight transit to Roca Partida last night, arriving 0700. Wx this morning not as nice as was forecast, had 10-15 kts from the north all morning and associated wave height on top of the swell around. Sky has cleared mid morning and a nice sunny day now. First dive we had a small whaleshark for the whole dive, some dolphins, lots of sharks. One diver reported seeing the big school of 100+ silkie sharks. Second dive just as good minus the whaleshark. Everyone is very happy and all is well onboard.

Saw a tuna boat near San Benedicto yesterday. I didn’t get a close enough look at it other than to make out that it was a tuna boat, I’ll report it to navy when we get to Socorro Island. Also saw some lights last night which may have been a fishing boat, around 15 miles north of the rock. We’ll get you full details to pass on to authorities in Mexico City to help them take action.

Captain Gordon

Nautilus Captains Log, Captain Gordon's Noon Report. Socorro Island, Mexico. June 26, 2012.

The Nautilus Explorer and the Swell are our pride and joy. Each boat gets hauled out of the water every year for refit and makeover. We all get involved and work very long days over 3 weeks tiddlying things up with fresh paint and varnish, making improvements, overhauling machinery and conducting annual survey and audit by various regulatory bodies. The end of result is always a pretty boat that we are all very proud of.

Big news this year on the Explorer was the addition of another head (restroom) on the dive deck. It may not seem like a big thing but something that our guests have been asking for and was overdue. It is a beautiful head if I don’t say so myself with a big window, lots of elbow room and glossy white paint and stainless steel.

We painted the exterior of the boat top to bottom and revarnished everything in sight. A team of mechanics from Cummins attended the ship and overhauled both main engines and one genset. The folks from Village Marine overhauled both watermakers as well as all our spare pumps. Compressors were done. The exhaust system, seachest and all the overside valves were disassembled, cleaned up, pressure tested, renewed as necessary and reinstalled. Transport Canada Marine Safety attended the ship and renewed our passenger certificates. TC Security renewed our ISPS security clearances. Lloyds Register conducted annual audit and renewed our Safety Management Certificate and our Document of Compliance. Radio certificates, International Loadline and Fire Equipment certificates were all renewed. U.S. Coast Guard also attended the ship and renewed our COC certificate. Safe to say that it was a very busy 3 weeks!!

Onwards to Guadalupe Island to dive with our favourite great white sharks.

Safe diving,

Captain Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom