Nautilus Explorer Guest and Crew Blogs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautilus Explorer

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What you all think about Roca Partida?? Socorro, Mexico. June 4th, 2012. (español)

Hoy en Roca Partida fue un excelente dia, vimos delfines, white tips, silver tips, Galapago sharks, cola amarillasde unos 100 kg muy Buena visibilidad y cada buceo nos dio de que hablar.

Las fotos que tome son increibles definitivamente un viaje que nunca voy a olvidar. Toda la vida marina en este lug r es incredibley de las mejores sensaciones es ver esos atunes enfilarse como tanques de Guerra en busca de su presa es algo que nunca se me va a olvidar.

Espero con ansias que llegue el buceo de manana a ver si nos bendicen con un Tiburon ballena.

The Mexican Team

Today was my last chance to get wet at Roca Partida. We have been out for two days of great diving, I was hoping to report whale sharks again this week, but alas no joy! Have to settle for the dolphins and sharks. I did get a chance to dive with the Mexican Team (a group of friends from Guadaljara) on the third dive today and for Roca Partida it was the usual cast of characters; sharks,fish and more fish, we also had some rather large tuna come scooting through the other fish scattering them like so many shadows. A very good couple of days, vis today was about 80-100′/25-30 meters and water temp was variable mostly around 76F/23C but did encounter some colder upwellings at about 73F/21C

Captain Al

—-

So far we had a wonderful day at the Boiler with the vis of 80 plus and the mantas just show their self off to all the divers through out the hole day we had them just waiting for us to get in i counted 5 at one time my neck was sore the next day cause of trying to see where the next manta would be coming from just a amazing dive day with the mantas so far we decided to head to Roca Partida AKA Snow Rock and Shark City just said it shark city we had the dive site for ourself as we were all excited to see what show was awaiting us as for lasst week we had a whale shark join us for the day but instead galapogos shark,silkys ,white tips, Hammerhead ,and silver tips with a school of tuna the are nearly the size of the white tips shark just rush into the school of skip jack and that is where the action starts with the dolphins trying to eat the tunas and the sharks just come in schools after the dolphin had there meat of the morning then the just came in a batch of about 6 to 8 together and got in between us and top and turn there belly to us as to say it is massage time just had us come close i would say 2 feet away from them just unbeatable moments on the last dive 3 of us saw a manta at Roca Partida and a Sailfish it was good ending now we head to see the mantas and put the icing on the cake anyway keep you all posted.

DM Juan The Only One

My neck was sore trying to see where the next giant manta was coming from at Roca Partida. Dolphins trying to eat tuna. Sharks cleaning up. Socorro, Mexico. June 5th, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

WE WERE ABLE TO FIND THE SKELETAL REMAINS OF A FALSE KILLER WHALE (ORCA) THAT I SPOTTED AT SAN BENEDICTO ISLAND LAST WEEK. SOCORRO, MEXICO. JUNE 6TH, 2012.

Ok, the boiler was rockin’ dolphins up close and personal. So then we hit las cuevitas and we were able to find the skeletal remains of a false killer whale I had spotted there last week. Wicked..and then I had a first of my twelve year dive career, a frog fish!!! At San Benedicto island. Noooo, I didn’t find it, joel pointed it out to me as we crossed paths under water. Like I said before, joel is the man!!! I’ve worked diving in other countries where the frog fish is prevalent costa rica Thailand. But I’ve never seeeeeeeen it… So it’s like the easter bunny theory, if I don’t see it, I don’t believe it and now I believe in the frog fish!!! The frog fish is a rock with an eyeball. Soooo difficult to spot, even in a photograph. The situation reminded me of my brother filo he’s not actually my blood brother, he’s more of a brother-from-another-mother type brother. Welllll, he’d never seen a seahorse, and therefore didn’t believe that they really existed. Till I showed him one!!! Haaaa.. gotta love filo.. filo’s now a believer.

I was able to take a photo with the frogfish with a fabulous pink hair tie that my friend Jo gave me for this trip especially. Thanks Jo. You were here in spirit and the frogfish says, “it’s ______ time with Jo”, is it scuba time you may ask???? Is it salsa time you may ask????? Of course my horse says Jo. Haaaa… underwater salsa, but bien pegadito haaaa. It’s a bit overcast this evening, the moon is out there somewhere. La luna. Good girl, luna, goooood girl.. and bubu??? Yes, bubu is out there tooooo.. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s dives and what thoughts they will inspire, bubu???
Paul (aka tigre) divemaster

We were able to find the skeletal remains of a false killer whale (orca) that I spotted at San Benedicto Island last week. Socorro, Mexico. June 6th, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

WE HAD SQUADRONS OF SHARKS AT ROCA PARTIDA TODAY. SOCORRO, MEXICO. JUNE 15TH, 2012.

Roca Partida lived up to all my expectations! We had squadrons of sharks today. Today was really special!

—-

Roca Partida der beste Platz den ich bis jetzt betauchen durfte ! Grossfisch pur !!!
Thomas / Germany

—-

Roca Partida ist der Grund warum sich eine Ueberfahrt nach Socorro auf jeden Fall lohnt. Die Vielfalt an Haien ist Ueberwaeltigend. Wer einmal eine Schule von 50 ˆ 60 Seidenhaien gesehen hat, weiss warum sich dieser Platz auch fuer mehrere Tauchgaenge lohnt.
Gabi / Germany

We had squadrons of sharks at Roca Partida today. Socorro, Mexico. June 15th, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

---------- Post Merged on June 26th, 2012 at 01:37 PM ---------- Previous Post was on June 25th, 2012 at 08:12 AM ----------

MY FAVOURITE PARROTFISH WAS SURROUNDED BY 27 SHARKS AND JAMMING IN THE DIVERS’ BUBBLES. SOCORRO ISLAND. DIVEMASTER REPORT. JUNE 16, 2012.

Well, the lucky numbers of the day today are 27 and 1. I was surrounded by 27 silver tip sharks with several others in the distance, and then there was this one parrot fish that was dancing in the bubbles made by the divers literally dancing. There aren’t many parrot fish here in Roca, but this one was jamming!!!! So 27/01 or is it 01/27, I guess it depends where in the planet you are from. I’m sure that the scientists will tell you that there is some particular reason why the parrotfish does this (like cleaning its gills or something practical and utilitarian like this), but I think she was just jamming I’m sure you can imagine who that reminds me of. Jo???? I mean, have you evvvver heard or seen a parrotfish doing something like this?? I not. But you never can tell what Jo’s gonna do, now can you???

We started a other trip just heading back to the world of diving and adventure as on the way dolphin join us for about 20 min as they leap out of the water about 3 ft in the air what a site as we approach San Benedicto where the fun starts we started at the dive site call The Canyon where we do the checkout dive just on the first dive we saw Hammerhead sharks just cruising into the slit current and a giant manta that fallow us to the boat as the day continue just siting of sharks and frog fish good start .The fallowing day we head to what we call the Boiler AKA Manta city we had mantas for the hold day just none stop as we plan for the next day was to head to Roca Partida AKA Shark city this is our third day were we saw what we would say a unbeatable dive with 5 different kind of shark an the tunas in the hundreds as the playful school of dolphin just stayed with us from the start of the dive till the end of the dive they came as close as like a foot away from just wanted to get pet I had 3 encounter throughout the hold dive just can beat that well just keeping you all updated and tell you all what happening.

DM Juan The Only One

—-

Roca Partida: This must be heaven on earth or better heaven in the middle of the ocean. I was just flabbergasted when I dropped down here this morning for the first time. I was pretty tired after waking up loads of times while we went out here during the night and literally had my girlfriend drag me out of bed in the morning, but as soon as I saw what was going on here, I was totally awake. Good visibility, tons of jacks, hunting tuna, white-tips piled up on the balconies in the rock, hammerheads further out and Galapagos sharks, dusky sharks and what not all over the place. Just one word: amazing. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I booked this trip. Everybody was smiling when they came out, shouting and laughing. Some of the guys had a very close encounter with a group of dolphins, the pictures made my heart jump, so I was determined to get see them too. On the next dive, we were lucky enough to come across a mum and her baby and that truly made my girlfriend’s day. She’s actually looking at the picture of the two playing with each other right now. Glad we got another day here, love it to bits. Off to dinner now, I’ll put on so much weight, because the food is amazing too. I guess I will apply for a job in the kitchen.

Marc, 36, Germany

—-

We all suffer from the dolphin-syndrome: Can’t get these smiles off our faces. What an extraordinary day!!!! Impatient to get more of it.

Estefan el suizo

http://nautilusatsea.com/2012/06/18/socorro-island-i-was-flabbergasted-when-i-dropped-down-there-this-morning-after-my-girlfriend-dragged-me-out-of-bed-june-18th-2012/

SPEECHLESS!!!! TIGER SHARK + SPAWNING EVENT AND MILLIONS OF LARVAL STAGE CRABS? IS THAT WHY THE DIVING IS SO OUTSTANDING RIGHT NOW?? SOCORRO, MEXICO. JUNE 19TH, 2012.

Day 1.

The arrival to San Benedicto is always greeted with the comfort of seeing land, again! It never gets old for me as I approach our first anchorage on the southern side of the island. This puts us squarely in front of the volcano dome which rises rapidly from the sea. Its ash covered flanks deeply rivulted by water erosion on the odd occasion that it rains here. Also forming part of our protection here is the lava flow that spilled into the sea from near the base of the volcano dome. The black lava flow contrasting the white ash above. This location is commonly called ‘The Canyon’ and it is here we begin our dive adventure. This trip is a combo trip that will see us dive at San Benedicto and Roca Partida before we head off to the Sea of Cortez for our last two days. The water at the Canyon is clear today and during our first dive we see our first Manta, scores of fish and a few sharks, it also is home to a healthy population of Octopus, and at least two pairs of frogfish that we see quite regularly.
Tomorrow we will be off to the Boiler for a giant Manta fix we hope. Today the water temp was 75 F or about 22 C/ vis was 50 – 80 feet/15-25 meters. Watch for my report on the boiler and our trip to Roca Partida!

Day 5.

Well tonight we are heading back to San Benedicto, but lets back track. We have had three very interesting days of diving since I last wrote. After our first day we headed up to the Boiler, which is probably the best known site for Manta activity in the Revillagigedo Islands. It lived up to its reputation, as on dive 2 & 3 it was non stop manta action with flyby’s above and beside. There is something about looking one of these magnificent creatures in the eye as they swim to you. However as special as the mantas are it was actually the last dive that was a mind blower. We jumped in for the last dive and expected some current, as we had some for the previous dives. Instead it was totally void of current. The boiler is a fishy place but on this dive the fish seemed to be spread out evenly throughout the water column and as far as the eye could see. It was an incredible sight to look up see the stern of the boat, look behind and see the underwater form of the boiler, and then the divers simply spread out in space, like the fish. We were simply staring out into the blue. Then it happened, divers were floating free waiting to go up to the waiting hang lines for their safety stop, when a tiger shark, with its distinctive strips made an ever so slow swim by. This definitely set the stage for our trip out to Roca Partida, were we have been for the last two days. Day 1 at Roca was very interesting, about 2 weeks ago we had a fish spawn and have been seeing many larval stage critters floating around, this morning there was literally millions of what looked like larval stage crabs. Everything was feeding and much to our surprise in came a Manta, then another and finally a total of three. Along with the sharks made for a great first day. Today the first and last dives had all the action. our mantas stuck around for the day but it was the sharks on these dives. The last saw schools of Silkies mixed with Galapogos, silver tips and even the odd Hammerhead shark but in numbers that were hard to imagine. Groups coming in waves of 40, 50, 60 sharks a very impressive sight.

So it is tonight, the sun has set behind us and the moon is rising in its full form ahead of us, guiding us back for more exciting dives to come. Temperatures have been all over the place 78F the first day at Roca Partida then down to 74F today. The boiler has been between 73-76F In general the water has warmed up during the past two weeks. We will be diving at San Benedicto for two more day and then off we go to the Sea of Cortez. Check back and I will tell you how it went.

Captain Al

—-

Fantastico.

Oli.
—-

In the last dive of the day, sun going down, Galapagos sharks everywhere, a manta appeared out of the blue, just a bit out of our reach in depth, but close enough to get some spectacular photos. And now, to top it off, full moon rising out of the sea..howlingly gooood!!!

Jan

—-

Arrived here at Roca Partida; an unimposing volcanic pinnacle marking an incredible diversity and richness of marine life. We were not to be disappointed. We were overwhelmed with the fleets of fish; large sharks, tuna, mackerel, moray eels and giant manta enticing us to descend far beyond our limits with each dive. And indeed, many of us succumbed to the temptation gladly. Awaiting what will reveal itself tomorrow. Now just howling at the full moon!

Max.

—-

Day 2.

Beyond world class diving this morning! So much energy in the water, Manta’s, huge Tuna, Shark fish tank, does it get better?

Vince

—-

First Dive: Speechless.

Oli.

—-

One of the most impressive dive sites I ever had the luck to dive! And this with the friendliest crew and the best chef on the boat and dive buddies one can wish for! Just awesome! Thanx to all of you! Daniel

Beyond words. At Roca Partida we just lived in full the reason why we started and keep on diving, feeling the pure wonders of what humankind keeps destroying. Pure happiness, pure amazement, a journey into a fabulous world beyond and into our own very core. Life at its purest.

Claudia

—-

They are back!! Mantas are back to Roca Partida. Today on our first dive of the day we had 3 Mantas playing and checking all the divers out, and big school of silkys, some Galapagos and some silvertip sharks were there to, it was a very nice dive!! Its so good to get to see this and again this place is full of surpises! I guess they are right. I have a great job.

Sincerely,

DM Joel IHO

—–

Speechless!!!! Tiger shark + spawning event and millions of larval stage crabs? Is that why the diving is so outstanding right now?? Socorro, Mexico. June 19th, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

---------- Post Merged on July 5th, 2012 at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 4th, 2012 at 08:30 AM ----------

YOUNG TIGER SHARK TOOK CENTER STAGE AT THE BOILER AT SAN BENEDICTO ISLAND. SOCORRO, MEXICO. JUNE 19, 2012.

Well this morning finds our sleepy ship rising at a more leisurely pace as today is a non diving day while we make our transit from Socorro Island to the Sea of Cortez. We finished our last two days at San Benedicto with much more giant Manta fun at the boiler. Over the last two days our dives at the Boiler were outstanding. The first day back, the seas were up a bit at the boiler, but as our divers were to find out often there is a big positive along with the negative. The seas made if harder getting in and out of the water to go diving but once there the effort was well worth it. Dolphins, as they often do come riding in on the waves to play around the boiler and with no current, the mantas were feeling lonely as almost no one ventured on to the cleaning stations for the mantas but stayed on the outside of the boiler and watched the dolphins entertain us. We called it after two wonderful dives and moved over to the protection of the east side of the island for a couple of dives. Our last day the conditions were much better and improved throughout the day. More great dives with the mantas but our young tiger shark took center stage for at least two of those dives. Coming in and out of the blue and in one sequence, one of our guests captured the tiger taking a fish on video.

As it was on our last trip temperature was wildly variable at the Boiler, mostly 74-76F or 22/23C but on the last dive dropped dramatically with upwellings to 69F/19C. Vis was excellent from a crystal clear 120+ to a Hazy 100′. A great way to end this portion of our trip to the Revillagigedo, watch for the next report from the Sea of Cortez as we head north towards La Paz and Espirit de Santos.

Captain Al

100 SILKY SHARKS CIRCLING THE NAUTILUS EXPLORER AT NIGHT. AND THEN 2 DIFFERENT SILKIES BREACHED OUT OF THE WATER. SOCORRO ISLAND. JUNE 22, 2012.

Roca Partida is truly amazing! There are sharks everywhere. This is the best diving that I have ever done!

—-

It is the greatest place I ever dive. Never saw so many sharks, tunas and many more on one spot. One of the best dives sites and defintely a place to return. A great variety of different sharks, schools of tuna and other fish. And then there is still the rock to be discovered.Lost my weightbelt (6kg). Thought it was a one-time belt.

—-

I have never been on a place like that.Every single dive at least 4 kinds of sharks and all of them came really close.An experience I have never had before.So lets see what the next days brings, I am really looking forward.

—-

WIR SIND UEBERWAELTIGT VON DER ANZAHL DER VIELEN HAIARTEN.

—-

This is my fifth time out to Roca and the shark action is like nothing I have ever seen. Day one here, I was floating around in the Zodiac waiting for divers to surface when I looked down at the water and there must have been 10-12 Silkies swimming around under the boat. They took turns coming up from the depths to swim at the back of the pontoons near the motor. They were right at the surface and coming in hot. A few times I thought they might try a taste of the pontoon. That same night, as we lay at anchor with the lights on, there were at least 100 of these sharks circling the Nautilus Explorer. They were everywhere. This morning, I was enjoying the breeze briefly by the compressor room at the stern when a silky shark came breached out of the water! I quickly tried to grab the attention of a few guests and the DM’s Tigre and Joel, but they didn’t believe me. This afternoon near the south point of Roca, I saw it again! Not 10 feet from the stern of the Zodiac a second silkie leapt from the water, clearing about 2 feet, rolled on its side in the air and splashed back to the water. Again, no witnesses, but I saw it! Off to Socorro Island tomorrow for the first time tomorrow and looking forward to it.

Max

100 silky sharks circling the Nautilus Explorer at night. And then 2 different silkies breached out of the water. Socorro Island. June 22, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

WISH I HAD MORE ROOM IN MY BELLY FOR CHEF ENRIQUE’S DELICIOUS BARBEQUED CHICKEN… SOCORRO, MEXICO. JUNE 23, 2012.

After a mind blowing experience with the sharks at Roca Partida we made our way east once again to the island called Socorro. Socorro is the largest of the three islands that we normally dive during these expeditions, however it is the first time we’ve been able to dive here in many months due to the navy closures of the island. There is a Mexican navy base here and they occasionally conduct joint military exercises with the US and Guatemalan navies. So, for the past two days we’ve been once again exploring the waters around Socorro. Yesterday we dove at Cabo Pearce, which turned out to be a little quiet. A few brief manta sightings as well as a couple hammerheads spotted were the highlights yesterday. Last night we moved over to Punta Tosca and after the sun went down enjoyed a night snorkel with the silky sharks. The silkies are very curious and will approach the snorkelers very closely, which is quite a thrill when the water is black and the only thing lighting up the animals are the floodlights of the vessel. Today we did 4 dives at Punta Tosca and enjoyed some great Manta lovin’ and dolphin interaction. Around 3-4 mantas were in the area and spent most of the time on all the dives circling and interacting with the divers.
On dive 1 a pod of bottlenose dolphins arrived and most divers enjoyed some face to face time with them. As we arrived back at the Nautilus on the inflatables the dolphins followed us in and so we spent the next 30 minutes or so snorkelling with the pod of around 20 dolphins. It was a great day of big animal interaction followed by a soak in the hot tub and a cold beer and some of Chef Enrique’s delicious barbecued chicken. Wish I had more room in my belly.

Captain Gordon Kipp

Diving conditions: water temp 23C, viz 9-25m (30-80ft), current mild to strong at times

Surface conditons: air temp 27C, mostly cloudy today with some sunny breaks, light wind

Wish I had more room in my belly for Chef Enrique’s delicious barbequed chicken… Socorro, Mexico. June 23, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

---------- Post Merged on July 18th, 2012 at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous Post was on July 17th, 2012 at 08:58 AM ----------

A SCHOOL OF 100 SILKY SHARKS CAME CRUISING DOWN THE WALL AT ROCA PARTIDA – WRAPPING WITH A COLD BEER IN THE HOT TUB. SOCORRO, MEXICO. JUNE 24, 2012

Roca Partida in June seems to take on a whole new life. Any time of the season Roca Partida is always one of our best dive spots and always our best site for big pelagics. At this time of the year however it comes alive like no other. Huge schools of sharks seem to be everywhere. A school of around 100 silkies cruising the wall, or a smaller school of 30 or so mixed between silky sharks, silver-tips and galapagos seeming to be everywhere at once. Maybe it’s a just a more widely spread school of 80 or 100 animals? Yellow-fin tuna by the hundreds cruising near the surface, most of them larger than the silkies schooling alongside them. Dozens of wahoo and as always huge schools of various species of jacks and other fish. If that’s not enough how about the Giant Pacific Manta cruising alongside you, slowly, seemingly with no other place to be. It’s nice to see the mantas back at Roca Partida. Well, that was our day today, wrapping it up with a cold beer in the hot tub. Tomorrow will be another day at Roca Partida with the possibilities wide open…a whale shark? hammerheads? dolphins?

We’ll let you know!

Captain Gordon Kipp

Diving conditions: water temp 21-22C, viz 80ft, current moderate to strong

Surface conditions: air temp 28C, clear skies, light wind

A school of 100 silky sharks can cruising down the wall at Roca Partida – wrapping with a cold beer in the hot tub. Socorro, Mexico. June 24, 2012 | Nautilus At Sea

NAUTILUS SWELL – DIVEMASTER REPORT – JULY DIVING IN ALASKA!

July 9
guests embark in Ketchican

July 10
Meyers Chuck, Clarence Straight
Dive one: Misery Island
Viz 65ft+
Temp: 10C
Seas: Calm
Weather: Sun

Dive Two: Misery Island
Viz 65ft+
Temp: 10C

Dive Three: Lee’s Wall
Viz 60ft
Temp 10C
Seas: Calm, slight chop
Weather: Sun partly cloud

Overview: Guests had a great first day, All look really comfortable in the water and enjoy looking and finding things.. I call it “head in the rocks” DM is very excited for a trip with guests that enjoy the diversity that Alaska offers. The walk in Meyers Chuck was short as the trail was covered in water due to rain.

July 11
Ice Day
AM in Le Conte Glacier. The ice was packed, took a while to get to the head. The guests were really fun. Took full advantage of the ice burg and burgie riding and playing and basking in the sun. A great morning, The PM was a walk in Petersburg, Weather was great and guests enjoyed the visitors center and gift shops.

July 12

Dive One: State of California
Temp 9C
Viz 80ft

Dive Two: State of California
Temp 9C
Viz 80ft
Weather Sun

Dive Three: Lumpsuck
Temp 9C
Viz: 40ft
Seas: slight/mild chop
Weather: Sun part clound. Slight wind

Overview: What a great day. Most of the group are wreck divers and loved the wreck, it was the best viz i have ever seen and one could really enjoy the structure as well as the life on it. Lumpsuck is a macro site and guests enjoyed it. This DM had an epic day diving. Tones of Lumpsuckers and clingfish juveniles. (seems once you know how to see them, they are everywhere.)

July 13
Wooden Island

Dive One: Vancouver Rock
Temp 10C
Viz: 65ft
Seas: slight Chop
Weather: Cloud

Dive Two: Vancouver Rock
Temp 10C
Viz: 65ft
Seas: slight Chop
Weather: Cloud

Dive Three: Wooden Island
Temp 10C
Viz 70ft
Seas: slight Swell
Weather: part cloud

Overview: What a great Day. Vizibility was amazing, Vancouver Rock had a record amount of Wolf Eels. At least a dozen were seen and some free swimming, They are a bit deeper than last season. But same location. Wooden Island was perfect. Slight to no current, clear as day. So much fish life and the reef is so healthy and amazing. Drove to Patterson Bay to look for smudges. There were no smuges to be seen and we questioned if it was the time of year or time of day. Instead of stay overnight and chance no smudges in the morning we continued to Baranoff. But Patterson looked promising, the way it did right before the smudges appeared last year so next week may be it.

July 14
Baranoff Warm Springs

Dive one: The Kelp Patch
Temp 10C
Viz: 60ft
Seas: calm
Weather; sun with part cloud

Dive Two: The Kelp Patch
Temp 10c
Weather; sun and part cloud. Slight wind

Dive Three: Baranoff Rock
Temp 10C
Seas: calm
Weather: sun slight wind

Overview: Great day again, the itenerary on this trip is amazing. All guests are loving the diving. Kelp patch was done twice. Topo right and topo left. Doing so enhances the benefits as ending on the plumose is as great as starting on them. Baranoff Rock has been briefed differently lately making the dive much more enjoyable for guest. The life is various as the options have expanded. It was a great dive today with octo and crab but not a reliable spot. We parked at the dock and all guests enjoyed a tour of the area and the ability to come and go as they pleased.

July 15
Basket Bay, Chatham Straight

Dive One: Basket Bay Point
Temp 10C
Viz: 50ft
Weather: Sun part Cloud

Dive Two: Basket Bay Point
Temp 10C
Viz: 50ft
Weather : Sun part Cloud. Slight wind

Salmon River Swim
Temp 7C
Viz: Clear
Seas: strong current in the river
Weather: Sun part cloud
Overview: Guest enjoyed the day. Basket Bay point is getting quite reliable for giant pacific octopus. But not recommended for two dives so we are going to start to explore for other options. The Salmon river swim was great all guests enjoyed to watch the King Salmon. The weather cooperated and the marble Grotto looked beautiful. All guests enjoyed the break that the river swim gave in the dive schedule.

July 16
Inian Island, Icy Straight.

Dive One. Sealion Wall
Temp 9 C
Seas: Slight Chop
Weather: Cloud and fog

Dive Two: Wall of life
Temp 9 C
Seas: Slight Chop
Weather: Cloud and fog

Click below for the full post:
Nautilus Swell – Divemaster report – July diving in Alaska! | Nautilus At Sea

FIRST TRIP GUADALUPE 2012 GREAT WHITE SHARK SEASON AND OUR BIG TOOTHY FRIENDS ARE HERE IN FORCE!! DIVING IS EXCELLENT. GUADALUPE, MEXICO. AUG 7, 2012.

How was your day at Guadalupe and with the Great Whites??? BLOG IT OFF, DON’T BE SHY

August 5th, 2012: today was a good day. We arrived at Guadalupe Island last night and woke up to the most beautiful panorama this morning. It was going to be my first dive with great whites and it felt like Christmas!!!! The Nautilus crew is very accommodating and they make sure you have everything you need to be safe and have a great time. I dove with Juan, one of the dive masters and he was phenomenal. During this dive, there were 2 great whites in particular that seemed very curious with the strange animals inside the cages and circled around for almost the entire time we were under water. They came as close as physically uncomfortable for some of us, close enough to stare you in the eye with own his dark eyeball. What graceful creatures! They are even more beautiful and fascinating this close up. Anyone out there considering this intimate experience with a great white shark, I can tell you the Nautilus Explorer Crew here with us on this trip are the best!!!! We have a very international visiting crowd from the US, UK, Belgium, Canada and myself from Brazil; everyone looks very excited and pleased.

Merry Christmas!

Milena

—-

Ok new trip. We got on spot last night with a whoooole new group. We got france, brazil, eeuu, mexico, Canada. You name it, we got it!! Excellent group to mix things up and practice my French even I think I will be fluent by the end of this trip. So we had the cages in the water since six thirty this morning and low and behold one of our friends was already there circling waiting for us one of the big daddies toooo . By the end of the day we had four maybe even five circling close first day and the volume’s already juiced up wowsers.

Buuuut, nufff about sharks, I wanna talk about the cloud drift that flows like a blanket over one of the ridges on the mountain right here in front. Maaaan, you can’t believe it. This cloud flows constantly over this ridge just like a blanket and drifts off and withers away is kinda like a waterfall, a slooow smooothe waterfall that disappears into thin air. Kinda reminds me of this wicked purple blanket that I got and use for special occasions. I really like the color yellow, but I got someone that loooves purple and if truth be told, the blanket’s not mine, its jo’s, but if you seen this blankey you gonna wanna have it for you!! So you probly thinkin, what’s a special occasion for blankey??? Its for readin‚ on the beach but you gotta find a nice spot behind some rocks to give you protection from the wind, and even then its chilly and that’s where the blankey comes into play. Like I says, you wouldn’t believe, but this cloud blankey is usually flooowin for houuurs at a time.

I don’t know where the clouds come from but there seems to be an endless supply. Now, howww cool would it be to be right on that edge where the cloud rolls over the edge, right underneath the edge. AND HAVE THE PURPLE BLANKEY THERE AAAAAAAAND HAVE JO THERE!!!! Now, I know that’s kinda lots to be askin of the universe but I bin told that you have to belieeeve and there’s nothing wrong with believing and maybe even a little dreamin… and that’s dreamin with yur eyes open. Today we not dreamin bout little sailboats anchored in the moonlight or flakin off to chile, we sittin on the top deck checkin‚ out that cloud, and letting that cloud take us somewhere.

TIGRE (divemaster)

—-

Annie five (pale and ghost-like Canadian)

Day started with a beautiful sunrise over the cliffs of Guadalupe and it only got better from there. The crew got the cages ready and off we went. Sharks, fish, dolphins, a turtle, excellent grub and a cold beer. Really can’t get any better if you ask this girl. Was a little naïve and fell for a trick that most five year olds know, but hey got an underwater kiss as a result (wink wink)!! We will see what the rest of the trip brings, but really I can’t think of one thing about the day I would change and look forward to seeing what the wildlife (crew included) will do tomorrow. Later!!

First trip Guadalupe 2012 great white shark season and our big toothy friends are here in force!! Diving is excellent. Guadalupe, Mexico. Aug 7, 2012. | Nautilus At Sea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom