TRIP REPORT: Weda Resort, Halmahera, Maluku

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPQ

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently back from a short last minute impromptu visit to Weda Resort in Halmahera, and wished i could have stayed much longer. I've been doing most of my diving at Bunaken and was very curious to see what's on offer the next island over. Lots of critters i hadn't seen before, and some that were similar, but slightly different. TONS of fish - huge schools of big and small fish. Corals 3-4 times the size of those in Bunaken. I saw very little damage to the corals and most sites were pristine or close to pristine. There's a fantastic atoll called Elmoo's reef which takes some time to get to but well worth it. Since Weda resort is the only dive resort in the entire bay, and they only have 5 cottages, there is never any crowding (it's quite remote and takes about 4.5 hrs to get there from Ternate Airport, via car, then boat, then car). The resort is built with sustainability and environment in mind, the cottages were well constructed, very clean, well furnished, comfortable, and the food was truly excellent (no MSG, believe it or not!), and the staff very nice and friendly. The owners are warm and extremely nice people who will do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable. They even offered to babysit my 2 yr old while we went out diving or bird watching.

And if you need to take a break from diving, the rain forest, owned by the resort, is teeming with birds and butterflies (and of course lots of other critters too), including endemic birds of paradise. I'll have to plan a longer visit there next time.

Thanks a lot for the report. I have just arranged for me to go and stay there in November for 2 weeks. I know the owners from their resort in Lembeh (Divers Lodge Lembeh) and I am very excited to go to Halmahera. Of course, it will be a very diffferent kind of diving than in Lembeh, but I hardly can wait to see these corals and tons of fish! I am also looking forward to go such remote location!

Have you got any pictures (underwater or above water)?

Was the diving more like Bunaken or lembeh? Looking at ambon or halmahera for a possible trip. Keen on seeing new critters. Have been to lembeh and loved it, much more than Bunaken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom