Spearfishing Tournament and Technical Diving with Niuhi Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a much-delayed report, as I’ve had my irons in many fires the last few weeks and haven’t had time to write up a report until now. My biggest regret is the lack of photos available from the weekend. I had my camera, but I’ve learned that spearfishing and photography don’t mix… unless you have a gun-cam.

Guns & Hoses 2012
I met up with “Team Niuhi” before dawn and began loading the boat for some die-hard spearfishing. We were competing in the 2012 Guns & Hoses Spearfishing Tournament. We made good time due to calm seas, and splashed not long after daylight. We concentrated on smaller structures, most of which were not published, but not super-secret either :wink:

The A-Team immediately took three snapper in the 18-pound range. We knew we needed 20+ pound fish to place, but we wanted to make sure we had something for the freezer too, so each diver took a single fish, and looked for larger snapper, or large fish in any of the other categories. Barry ended up boating a red grouper that eventually placed second in the contest. B-Team dropped on another spot nearby, and ended up bringing their “eating fish” aboard, and added a few nice mangrove snapper to the box as well. Shelby shot a spadefish that placed third in the contest.

We hopscotched across the Gulf in search of 20+pound snapper, but kept striking out. We saw a goliath grouper on the Brass Wreck, and shot a half-dozen flounder, but they were all pretty small, and we didn’t bother weighing any in.

The pinnacle of the dive for me was being buzzed by a trio of dolphins. They did two passes, and looked at me like I was crazy to be laying on the sand waiting on snapper to come in. It was one of the coolest things I’ve yet to see underwater, and I was laughing and cheering their visit through my reg.

As stated above, Team Niuhi placed 2nd in Grouper, and 3rd in Spadefish. Two places out of five possible categories isn’t too shabby. Congratulations to Barry and Shelby for winning recognition for their skills. Barry won a brand new AL80, and Shelby took home a camo dive skin.

IMG_4757a.jpg

IMG_4756a.jpg

IMG_4751a.jpg

IMG_4750a.jpg

IMG_4748a.jpg

Technical Oriskany Dives
Note to self: Not a good idea to do tech dives one day after spearfishing tournament. Nature had conspired against us, as we had originally planned to do our Tech dives first, and then do the tournament, but we ended up doing the opposite. We planned our spear-o dives very conservatively, and had a 16+hour surface interval. We ran worse-case scenarios for our deco planning and felt we were all well within established limits. We also all made sure to get a solid 8-hours of sleep, but I’ll admit I felt my age rolling out of bed at 6:00am the next morning.

Our tech-diving team consisted of four divers. One rebreather, and three OC divers with trimix (21/35) and 100% O2 for decompression. We planned two dives. Our first dive was to a maximum depth of 175ft. We would assess the conditions at depth, and execute a swim-through of the hangar deck if all seemed okay, and all team members agreed. About 20ft inside the hangar deck I noticed a moderately-sized fireworm tumble lazily through the water in front of me. The exhaust from the first OC diver hitting the ceiling had dislodged the critter. I shuddered at the thought of that guy landing on the back of my neck, and continued through to the daylight on the other side of the ship. Once on the port side, we turned upward, and slowly gained altitude until reaching the flight deck. We hugged the deck looking for free dive gear and perhaps an unlucky slipper lobster. Once at the tower, we slowly ascended in a corkscrew around the tower until we hit our first decompression stop.

After an hour and a half surface interval, we splashed once again. We were limited to 145ft for the second dive, and had planned a swim to the fantail. About ¼ of the way down the length of the deck, we began thinking the current would be too much to complete the task. At the ¾ mark we abandoned the plan. We simply didn’t have the gas reserves to make the trip with the increased current. We let the current carry us back to the tower, and explored the foot of the tower until we hit our ascent time. The surface current had picked up a bit while were down, and we had to hold a little tighter during decompression. Bottom times for both dives were around 20 minutes, while total run times were just under an hour (about 40min of deco for each dive).

Once onboard the Niuhi, we secured our gear and headed North. Captain Andy and his dive masters took good care of us over the two days on two totally different dive trips. Fresh-cut pineapple, Gatorade, bottled water, fruit-flavored honey-sticks, even fresh grouper tacos during the spear-o trip! If I can ever stop blowing all my disposable income on dive gear, I’ll definitely be back on his boat. Niuhi Scuba Diving Charters - Pensacola, Florida

IMG_4761a.jpg

Great report Alex! Here is a video from the Spearfishing tournament, thanks to Captian Andy on Niuhi for putting us on some fish and for an excellent day on the water. And thanks to all my buddies for not being F*#K-Tards! :wink:

https://vimeo.com/45089096

[vimeo]45089096[/vimeo]

Nice Vid, Barry. I saw several lionfish on the bottom of some of your frames. Did you dispatch them as well?

Back
Top Bottom